Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reassinged to a PCM at a MTF :'-(

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help Reassinged to a PCM at a MTF :'-(

Advertisements
    Hello Fellow Military Family members,

I just received an enthusiastic letter from NMC Portsmouth welcoming me and both my children to their system. Without going into too many details as to why I will NEVER go to or allow anyone at NMC Portsmouth or any of the branch clinics to touch me or my children ever again, this is a nightmare situation for me. So I have turned here to see if any of you have had luck with Waiver Requests recently. We were approved to have civilian PCM's through waivers almost 10 years ago after the medical neglect and abuse my son and I suffered through the military system. I never thought I would have to deal with this again, and I am regretting not suing them as I was advised to do. Still I was assured I would never have to deal with them again and yet here I am. The process is different now than it use to be, and I am being told there is not an office to go to this time around. I normally just figure this stuff out for myself, but surprise surprise no one was answering the phone at the benefits office earlier today. My guess is A LOT of these letters came to people's homes yesterday and today. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

Blessings,
    Rebecca
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Why not just go standard?
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Senior Member
    Yup. Just go Standard. If it means that much to you, it should be well worth the few extra bucks. And it is the only way to guarantee the outcome you want.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Our base is currently not honoring waiver requests except in extreme situations. I'd go standard.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by byebyecow View Post
    Hello Fellow Military Family members,

I just received an enthusiastic letter from NMC Portsmouth welcoming me and both my children to their system. Without going into too many details as to why I will NEVER go to or allow anyone at NMC Portsmouth or any of the branch clinics to touch me or my children ever again, this is a nightmare situation for me. So I have turned here to see if any of you have had luck with Waiver Requests recently. We were approved to have civilian PCM's through waivers almost 10 years ago after the medical neglect and abuse my son and I suffered through the military system. I never thought I would have to deal with this again, and I am regretting not suing them as I was advised to do. Still I was assured I would never have to deal with them again and yet here I am. The process is different now than it use to be, and I am being told there is not an office to go to this time around. I normally just figure this stuff out for myself, but surprise surprise no one was answering the phone at the benefits office earlier today. My guess is A LOT of these letters came to people's homes yesterday and today. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

Blessings,
    Rebecca
    If you don't want to go to a MTF then switch to Standard. A perk of prime is you don't have to pay for squat, but you don't get to pick your doctor. If you want to pick your doc then you gotta pay up.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    If you don't want to go to a MTF then switch to Standard. A perk of prime is you don't have to pay for squat, but you don't get to pick your doctor. If you want to pick your doc then you gotta pay up.
    I will switch to Standard if I have to, I have already considered that option, but as it is we pay a ton of money out of pocket for my children's health needs that Tricare does not cover ($575+ on average per month) I need every penny to count. As it is we have to find ways to pay for the compounded medications my youngest needs since Tricare stopped covering them. I'm not sure the "you gotta pay up" approach will be doable on our budget, hence the asking for advice. My son needs compounded medications because he cannot take any typical medications due to allergies to the binders and other inactive ingredients in almost all medications (including antibiotics etc).

Still, thank you all for taking time to share your advice.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by byebyecow View Post
    I will switch to Standard if I have to, I have already considered that option, but as it is we pay a ton of money out of pocket for my children's health needs that Tricare does not cover ($575+ on average per month) I need every penny to count. As it is we have to find ways to pay for the compounded medications my youngest needs since Tricare stopped covering them. I'm not sure the "you gotta pay up" approach will be doable on our budget, hence the asking for advice. My son needs compounded medications because he cannot take any typical medications due to allergies to the binders and other inactive ingredients in almost all medications (including antibiotics etc).

Still, thank you all for taking time to share your advice.
    I'm sure you have, but have you tried getting a waiver for those? It blows my mind that Tricare won't cover compounded medications for those who need them. But I've had a coverage issue with them in the past, so I do know how firm they can be in their decisions.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  8. Senior Member
    Consider looking into a MOAA supplement for Tricare. Those I know who have Standard and have kiddos who need lots of care tell me they save hundreds, if not more with MOAA.

You can always try, but I would not hold my breath for a waiver. The expenses of military medicine are growing at a time when budgets are shrinking. They need to save money, and the most effective way to do that is to make people use the system the military is paying to maintain. Why let people see a doctor who sends a bill, when they can see a doctor who is on the payroll already? I understand that you have intense and personal reasons for not wanting to use that system, but in order to address situations where that is the case, Standard is offered. So there really is no good reason, from their perspective, to give you a waiver.

Do look in to the MOAA supplement. I don't use it so I can't speak to details. But someone here might (perhaps start a new thread?) or you can read up on it. I believe you pay a membership fee, but then they pick up much more of the costs that would normally end up going to you on Standard. I believe you just meet a deductible and then they pick up everything after that, but again, I don't' have it and am just recalling conversations with friends.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Consider looking into a MOAA supplement for Tricare. Those I know who have Standard and have kiddos who need lots of care tell me they save hundreds, if not more with MOAA.

You can always try, but I would not hold my breath for a waiver. The expenses of military medicine are growing at a time when budgets are shrinking. They need to save money, and the most effective way to do that is to make people use the system the military is paying to maintain. Why let people see a doctor who sends a bill, when they can see a doctor who is on the payroll already? I understand that you have intense and personal reasons for not wanting to use that system, but in order to address situations where that is the case, Standard is offered. So there really is no good reason, from their perspective, to give you a waiver.

Do look in to the MOAA supplement. I don't use it so I can't speak to details. But someone here might (perhaps start a new thread?) or you can read up on it. I believe you pay a membership fee, but then they pick up much more of the costs that would normally end up going to you on Standard. I believe you just meet a deductible and then they pick up everything after that, but again, I don't' have it and am just recalling conversations with friends.
    Yup. I would look into this.

We are blessed with health care that is very affordable. Standard isn't too bad; but, I can understand pinching pennies.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post

Thank you. I will look into MOAA supplement. :-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast