Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: GI Bill: How is time calculated?

1. Senior Member

GI Bill: How is time calculated?

Advertisements
    Hoping someone here will know since I couldn't find info on the VA website.

If summer semester is 10 weeks, but they offer intense classes that are only 5 weeks, would I be using 5 weeks of benefits, or 10, if I took a class or classes only in the 5 week session? IOW, it is based on the official length of the semester, or the actual time from start to finish of the class?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Is this for the Post 9/11? I assume so since you're talking about time and not money but just wanna check.

Also, have you talked to the school's SCO that you've been working with? They could probably explain how they certify and report the classes you're taking.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Penni View Post
    Is this for the Post 9/11? I assume so since you're talking about time and not money but just wanna check.

Also, have you talked to the school's SCO that you've been working with? They could probably explain how they certify and report the classes you're taking.
    Yeah, Post-9/11.

The normal GI Bill person is on maternity leave and her replacement is... out of his league.
  4. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Yeah, Post-9/11.

The normal GI Bill person is on maternity leave and her replacement is... out of his league.
    lol Oh geeze, sorry.

Well since the Post 9/11 is based on time, I would assume that you would only be using 5 weeks because that is the benefit being requested. This also seems likely since not every public school has the summer semesters that are the same length, so there is no standard "oh she's attending summer semester so we request exactly 10 weeks of benefits."
    Not to mention that I'd be pissed if it took 10 weeks of benefits though I only really used 5 weeks.

I've not worked for the VA so I can't confirm, but from my experience this scenario seems most likely. A GS employee with ACES - or your similar org if you're not Army - would be the next best person to ask. You could get in contact with somebody at your local base's ed center.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

5. Senior Member
    Thanks! Not sure why I didn't think of the Ed center!
  6. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Thanks! Not sure why I didn't think of the Ed center!
    No problem! I'm not totally sure if ed centers work the same in the states as they do in Germany, but every ed center should have a GS employee that is able to brief on the GI Bills. Usually contractors in the ed centers can not unless they are a counselor.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

7. Senior Member
    It certainly can't hurt to try. I have to go to the base that has the ed center tomorrow, so I'll stop by. Thanks!
  8. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Hoping someone here will know since I couldn't find info on the VA website.

If summer semester is 10 weeks, but they offer intense classes that are only 5 weeks, would I be using 5 weeks of benefits, or 10, if I took a class or classes only in the 5 week session? IOW, it is based on the official length of the semester, or the actual time from start to finish of the class?

It is based on time you spend in school, so 5 weeks. If you cram 5 classes in a 3 month term or if you only take one class, that is using 3 months of it. Doesn't matter how many credits.
  9. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I'm taking accelerated classes right now so I do two classes with 8 week terms and that is considered "full time". Even though the course should be a 12 week course or whatever, I am only "charged" for the 2 months that I am in class.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    I'm taking accelerated classes right now so I do two classes with 8 week terms and that is considered "full time". Even though the course should be a 12 week course or whatever, I am only "charged" for the 2 months that I am in class.

That is *exactly* what I wanted to know. Thanks! I am going to slow roll through this program, and I want to use as little of the GI ill as possible, this is a good answer.

I thin kit is really silly that it is time base instead of unit or cost based. I understand why they want to limit the BAH (which we aren't getting because DH is AD) to a set amount of time, but it is weird that I could take one unit at a time for 39 months, and someone else can take 12 units at a time (which would cost 12x as much as my 1 unit!) and we'd both use up the same amount of the benefit. I'm not complaining as I'm just happy I can use it, but it's really odd to me that they did it that way.