Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to register with EFMP with a ESA?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Do I need to register with EFMP with a ESA?

Advertisements
    I'm not sure if I need to register with just an emotional support animal, or if I would only need to register if the animal was an actual service dog?
    Last edited by happythought0809; 02-18-2015 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Misspelling
  2. Senior Member
    Do you have a diagnosed medical condition? That's the relevant information, whether you have an animal of any kind or not.

Different branches have different regulations for EFMP, so if you included your DH's branch, that would help.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    My DH is in the marine corps and but I have not been given an official diagnoses yet because I'm new, but it's an axiety disorder.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happythought0809 View Post
    My DH is in the marine corps and but I have not been given an official diagnoses yet because I'm new, but it's an axiety disorder.
    New to what? It doesn't have to be a diagnosis from a military doctor.
  5. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I'm not sure if I need to register with just an emotional support animal, or if I would only need to register if the animal was an actual service dog?

Um hi and welcome. Not quite sure what you're asking but if you can provide more details I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    New to counseling, she wants to see me once more after changing some things before giving me an official diagnoses. She said an animal may help, but my housing does not allow pets. I kind of wanted to avoid an actual diagnoses because me and DH want to be able to be get sent to Japan, but of course health comes first.
  7. Senior Member
    New to counseling, she wants to see me once more after changing some things before giving me an official diagnoses. She said an animal may help, but my housing does not allow pets. I kind of wanted to avoid an actual diagnoses because me and DH want to be able to be get sent to Japan, but of course health comes first.
    Many military housing complexes in Japan don't allow pets. So that is going to be an issue if you have a pet. I'm a little confused about how you qualify to have an emotional support animal if you don't have a diagnosed condition, but that's not really relevant, I guess. But for the screen to be approved for Japan, you will be asked not only about diagnoses, but also whether you've received any mental health care. So even counseling will be included. It doesn't mean you'd be automatically rejected, but it will come up.

But again, if you have this dog that you need, then you are not going to want to go to Japan, as many bases there require base housing, especially for junior enlisted (if your DH is that, but it can be required for other ranks, too). And they are not required to provide pet friendly housing. If you need the dog to help you function, then they aren't really going to approve you, and if you don't tell them you have and need a dog, then you may not be able to take him.
  8. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    If you go to a private non military councelor you do not need to give the military access to those medical records.
    Now I cant give you info on housing, but your best bet would be to move.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    If you go to a private non military councelor you do not need to give the military access to those medical records.
    Now I cant give you info on housing, but your best bet would be to move.
    You absolutely *do* have to give them access to the medical records for an overseas screen, or at least I did for both of mine. Did you not have to provide a medical history before going to Mildenhall, which asked about mental health treatment (and every other medical condition imaginable)? I was required to tell them about everything, and also to provide copies of my civilian medical records.
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Ok thank you very much for the answers. It's not that I have an esa, the doctor was saying that it's was something she thought would be beneficial, but that I would need to continue counseling and then qualify after diagnosing and everything.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast