Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now what?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Bang Head Now what?

Advertisements
    I am a former Air Force dependent (dad) and just married my husband, who is new to the Navy. He is an E-1 and received orders for 5 years to Yokosuka to an aircraft carrier. He is an ABE. I am not on his orders. He wants me to come with him and, of course, I would like that. He leaves in a few days. I accept that I will probably be in the states for a while until I can go. What I want to know is, besides medical/dental, what other benefits will I receive while we are separated? He will be living on the ship. Will I get BAH and for what state? I live in Florida right now but want to move to my moms house for a while in Louisiana to save some money. Will the BAH be for that state? Could I get the navy to pack and store my stuff from my apt since I won't need things like washer and dryer at my mom's? How long could I expect to be separated before I could get command sponsored? Has anyone ever lived in Yokosuka on the economy (and lived to tell about it...he he)?

Thanks.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Do you know why your not on his orders?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Let me first answer the benefits question.
    Regardless of where he is stationed and where you are, you will get medical benefits. Dental is a separate cost and you have to apply for that separately. Only if you are command sponsored overseas will you get it for free. So long as you are stateside he will need to apply for spousal dental. Without it, you cannot see a dentist in the states. So, again.. you will have medical no matter what, dental he needs to apply. BUT.. you MUST be in DEERS in order for medical to be active. If you are not in DEERS you don't exist to the military.

DEERS is also what determines your dependent eligibility. So, again, if he has not yet put you in DEERS as far as military is concerned you don't exist.. thus he isn't entitled to BAH or anything regarding dependents. So, be sure he has put you in DEERS and that you have an ID card.

As far as whether or not you get BAH.. this is where we cannot answer 100%. He must talk to his command and inform them that he is married. You don't automatically get BAH just because he got stationed in Japan. BAH is generally only given when dependents are not authorized. Since he had no dependents at time of orders they don't know he has dependents to consider.

I would start the CS process now, mainly the medical clearance. Before they will consider approving CS you have to be medically cleared. During this time, he could be authorized BAH and it will be for the location he is currently stationed (before he leaves for Japan). Upon leaving Japan, they could change it to where you are living at the time he leaves. So, if you start in FL, then move to LA.. it will be based on FL.

But, again, these are all theories and none of it is 100% accurate as each case is different. First and foremost he MUST talk to his command and make them aware of the situation and they will do what they need and give him the information he needs.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Do you know why your not on his orders?
    off the cuff I have to assume its because he already had orders cut then they got married.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    I am thinking the reason she is not on the orders is because he is not a high enough rank. If that is the case, it may be several years before he is even eligible to request command sponsorship for her.

Once you are in DEERS and he is in Japan, he will receive BAH for you. What location it will be for is hard to answer with the information given. Storing your stuff may be possible under his orders to Japan if he is authorized non-temp storage. However, if the stuff is stored, it will be for the length of his time in Japan.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    I am thinking the reason she is not on the orders is because he is not a high enough rank. If that is the case, it may be several years before he is even eligible to request command sponsorship for her.

Once you are in DEERS and he is in Japan, he will receive BAH for you. What location it will be for is hard to answer with the information given. Storing your stuff may be possible under his orders to Japan if he is authorized non-temp storage. However, if the stuff is stored, it will be for the length of his time in Japan.
    I was thinking this. When we were in Yokosuka service members under e4 couldn't have dependents with them.
  7. Senior Member
    I lived near Yokosuka on the economy and loved it. If he is an E-1, if you get command sponsorship you likely will be required to live on base, however.

The answers to nearly all of your questions are going to depend on why you aren't on his orders. Find that out, and we'll be able to better help you.

you'll have medical and dental (if you pay for it), but everything else depends on why you don't/can't go to Japan.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I am not on his orders because we got married while he was on leave. However, I do not believe I will get to accompany him because he is an E-1. We have not been around a Navy base so, although I now have an ID, I am not on his page 2 yet.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawaiidesuyo View Post
    I am not on his orders because we got married while he was on leave. However, I do not believe I will get to accompany him because he is an E-1. We have not been around a Navy base so, although I now have an ID, I am not on his page 2 yet.
    I thought to get an ID you had to be on the page 2.
    But if not, I would be sure to get that done before he leaves.

You need to find our for sure why you are not on his orders. It could be because you were not married at the time orders were cut therefore there wasn't a need to put you on orders. Has he talked to his command about you getting married? Meaning, do they know you go married, and has he asked them what the process is now that he is married?

10. Senior Member
    He should be able to get you on his page 2. Where does he go to work every day? Is he still in boot camp? They should be able to handle that for you, and to et him know for sure whether you can be added to his orders, so that you can then try for Command sponsorship.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast