Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vision

1. Regular Member

Vision

Advertisements
    I didn't see any recent posts, so here goes. Is vision covered as part of medical or is it in addition to medical (and you have to pay for the vision insurance each month as you do with dental)? I will keep searching to find the answer, just haven't had any luck yet. I have a vision appointment next week and I am trying to get things sorted. Tysm in advance !
  2. Senior Member
    Vision as far as normal exam is covered. Contact lenses exam is not covered. Medical eye stuff is covered, like an eye infection or irritation.

Glasses and contacts are not covered.

At least that has been what I found.
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    Vision as far as normal exam is covered. Contact lenses exam is not covered. Medical eye stuff is covered, like an eye infection or irritation.

Glasses and contacts are not covered.

At least that has been what I found.
    Yep, what she said. Lenses are covered but not frames. Children get an allowance of like $60 for frames.
    Contacts in any capacity are not covered.

And its once a year... and that's 365 days, not calendar year. So if you get an exam today, you have to wait until Nov 21 next year to get seen again.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Yep, what she said. Lenses are covered but not frames. Children get an allowance of like $60 for frames.
    Contacts in any capacity are not covered.

And its once a year... and that's 365 days, not calendar year. So if you get an exam today, you have to wait until Nov 21 next year to get seen again.
    When did this start? It was my understanding that the member was responsible for all eyeglass costs.

ETA: I think there are only very specific DX that allow for cost share... See page two of the linked PDF.

http://www.tricare.mil/~/media/Files.../Vision_FS.pdf
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    When did this start? It was my understanding that the member was responsible for all eyeglass costs.

ETA: I think there are only very specific DX that allow for cost share... See page two of the linked PDF.

http://www.tricare.mil/~/media/Files.../Vision_FS.pdf
    Lenses have always been covered. We only ever had to pay for frames for myself and our kids. The frame allowance was only for the kids and it wasn't much.. $60 may be gracious.. most of the time the discount the eye place offered was better than any allowance I got from Tricare. But lenses are most definitely covered, but standard lenses.. not the transistion lenses.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Lenses have always been covered. We only ever had to pay for frames for myself and our kids. The frame allowance was only for the kids and it wasn't much.. $60 may be gracious.. most of the time the discount the eye place offered was better than any allowance I got from Tricare. But lenses are most definitely covered, but standard lenses.. not the transistion lenses.
    IMO, you've been getting a great deal from someone. According to Tricare, this is what is covered:

Is It Covered? - Glasses and Contacts

ETA: only certain conditions allow it to be paid.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    IMO, you've been getting a great deal from someone. According to Tricare, this is what is covered:

Is It Covered? - Glasses and Contacts

ETA: only certain conditions allow it to be paid.
    IDK.. i was always told (even by Tricare) that lenses and frames are two different things. So when they refer to Glasses and Contacts they mean the frames and contact.. not the lenses.

Even the bill said amount paid by Tricare (for lenses)...

I guess it would be best to contact Tricare, since their verbiage on the website is confusing.

8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    dp

9. Senior Member
    That is interesting how it says amount paid by tricare! I always assumed it wasn't paid at all. Some place gave me a discount but never mentioned if tricare was compensating them or not.
  10. Senior Member
    I've never had my lenses or frames covered. We just dropped almost 400 on my new pair less than 2 weeks ago!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast