Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braces

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Braces

Advertisements
    So my husband is 23 and today we, unfortunately, realized that his dental insurance only covers 50% of the expense of braces up to but not including 23 years of age. Seeing as that ship has sailed, my question here is if maybe someone knows of a way around that detail or perhaps one of you have used an outside dental insurance that really helped on the cost of the braces. Most that I have found on my own do a percentage and the highest I've seen is about 25% from the total cost. Some with a waiting period, some with not. But paying for a different dental insurance for 20ish percent certainly doesn't seem worth it. As a side note, we live in Houston, Tx maybe that helps somehow

Any help with this situation would be appreciated. He is pretty upset about the whole ordeal

Thank you!
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Have you talked to any local orthodontists? Ours set up interest free payments.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. Senior Member
    I use my dental insurance that pays 50%, up to $1500 lifetime for orthodontics. There is no age limit for anyone who is covered under my dental insurance. DH could use my insurance to pay for braces, if he wanted.

Our children would use his insurance and my insurance to pay for braces. His will pay 50% up to $1750, mine pays 50% up to $1500. Anything remaining is out of pocket costs that my orthodontist would bill me in monthly installments over the length of the braces.

Example: braces cost my kid $4000. Insurance pays $1750 (his) + $1500 (mine) = $3250 left over out of pocket is $750. Orthodontist recommends 18 months of braces. $750 / 18 = $41.667 or about $42 per month.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Wait.. he is active duty.. to my knowledge they don't fall under the same limits that dependents do. He should be going to the base dental office where everything is free.

Our kids got dental, and Tricare maxed out at $1750.... but that is a different rate and plan than what was for our husband when he was active duty.

Here are the links for active duty dental:

https://secure.addp-ucci.com/ddpddw/...s-dtfref.xhtml

https://www.unitedconcordia.com/non-...rms/Atch_2.pdf

The links/pdf state that as long as the dental care is deemed to ensure dental health its covered 100%. Only if its cosmetic would it not be covered.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Wait.. he is active duty.. to my knowledge they don't fall under the same limits that dependents do. He should be going to the base dental office where everything is free.

Our kids got dental, and Tricare maxed out at $1750.... but that is a different rate and plan than what was for our husband when he was active duty.
    I would check on base too. My best friend's bf is in the Navy and he got braces for free.
  6. Senior Member
    Are the braces for him or you? It sounds like they are for him. Generally the rules are different for AD, as Trish said. Have him go to the dental clinic on base. They won't cover it if it is just cosmetic, but if there is a medical need, they will explain the process.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Are the braces for him or you? It sounds like they are for him. Generally the rules are different for AD, as Trish said. Have him go to the dental clinic on base. They won't cover it if it is just cosmetic, but if there is a medical need, they will explain the process.

Here are the links for active duty dental:

https://secure.addp-ucci.com/ddpddw/...s-dtfref.xhtml

https://www.unitedconcordia.com/non-...rms/Atch_2.pdf

The links/pdf state that as long as the dental care is deemed to ensure dental health its covered 100%. Only if its cosmetic would it not be covered.

yeah if its for him it will differ so he may have to go ask for that, but if its you, yeah, no.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hello,since last week . They didn’t charge more. It was less than what I expected. If you have registered for insurance then, well and good.I didn’t have any insurance but I got my treatment done at a very reasonable rate.
    The treatment was at Dr. David Silberman’s clinic at Toronto. Mostly people complain of having the difficulty of wearing braces but I didn’t feel so. I was comfortable and am still feeling the same. Every day I can see the changes happening to my teeth and am excited as its only one more month for me to complete my treatment. I can’t wait to see the change
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by agonzalez View Post
    So my husband is 23 and today we, unfortunately, realized that his dental insurance only covers 50% of the expense of braces up to but not including 23 years of age. Seeing as that ship has sailed, my question here is if maybe someone knows of a way around that detail or perhaps one of you have used an outside dental insurance that really helped on the cost of the braces. Most that I have found on my own do a percentage and the highest I've seen is about 25% from the total cost. Some with a waiting period, some with not. But paying for a different dental insurance for 20ish percent certainly doesn't seem worth it. As a side note, we live in Houston, Tx maybe that helps somehow

Any help with this situation would be appreciated. He is pretty upset about the whole ordeal

Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by miaelizabeth View Post
    Hello,since last week . They didn’t charge more. It was less than what I expected. If you have registered for insurance then, well and good.I didn’t have any insurance but I got my treatment done at a very reasonable rate.
    The treatment was at Dr. David Silberman’s clinic at Toronto. Mostly people complain of having the difficulty of wearing braces but I didn’t feel so. I was comfortable and am still feeling the same. Every day I can see the changes happening to my teeth and am excited as its only one more month for me to complete my treatment. I can’t wait to see the change
    So, you were asking about yourself, not your husband?

Your first post talks about your husband being 23 and not able to get braces or that its only 50%. But your last post says you got the braces and it was than expected.
    So.. who was it for?
    Because if it is for your husband and he is active duty it shouldn't cost anything, nor does age matter.. for him, the active duty member.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

So, you were asking about yourself, not your husband?

Your first post talks about your husband being 23 and not able to get braces or that its only 50%. But your last post says you got the braces and it was than expected.
    So.. who was it for?
    Because if it is for your husband and he is active duty it shouldn't cost anything, nor does age matter.. for him, the active duty member.
    the usernames looks like these are two different posters...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast