Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question: Enlistment Bonuses

1. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.

Question: Enlistment Bonuses

Advertisements
    DH's BFF just got out of the Army and is wondering who/which office he contacts on post about his enlistment bonus that he hasn't yet received? He talked to finance at our previous base and they said they can't help him, but do we need to contact finance at our local base and get a different answer?

Thanks!!!

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Penni View Post
    DH's BFF just got out of the Army and is wondering who/which office he contacts on post about his enlistment bonus that he hasn't yet received? He talked to finance at our previous base and they said they can't help him, but do we need to contact finance at our local base and get a different answer?

Thanks!!!
    He just got OUT? Uh he's probably not going to see it then. Enlistment bonus' are paid usually at the end of training. Not after you're discharged and if he did not fulfill his entire contract he will neither see that money and may be required to pay back any he has received.
  3. Senior Member
    My initial thought was the same as BLT's. I am sure anything is possible, but whey does he believe he's still eligible to get the bonus if he got out? Generally, the bonuses are for committing to and serving out a set period of time and if that isn't done, then not only do they not qualify for the portion that hasn't been paid yet, but often what has been paid must be given back. If you get a bonus for signing on for 4 more year and you only do 3, then you haven't met the terms of the bonus, so you get nothing (which means what you were already given goes back).

Again, there are so many variations on bonuses and reasons people get out that it may well be that he does still get the money. But I'd have him research that a bit.

I'd try finance at the local base, but be prepared for them to blow you off. If they do, I'd suggest DH contact his CO at his last command and ask for help with who he needs to speak to.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    He just got OUT? Uh he's probably not going to see it then. Enlistment bonus' are paid usually at the end of training. Not after you're discharged and if he did not fulfill his entire contract he will neither see that money and may be required to pay back any he has received.
    Yep. You surrender any and all current and future bonuses when you discharge. It doesn't matter if said member discharged the day his bonus was due. Since the paperwork to get out was signed long before bonus was due to hit account. I also would not be surprised if he was asked to pay back any he already earned, particularly the 1/2 up front amount.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't