Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to file the waiver?

1. Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Blog Entries

Confused Is it worth it to file the waiver?

Advertisements
    Ok so DH is in TX at AIT. He is set to graduate beginning of next year (give or take 4-5 months). It was our understanding that since he wasn't going to be there for much longer (he can washback and be there for an additional month, but he is doing extremely well so I doubt that), and that they wouldn't move me for those few months, that we would receive BAH for my current location as well as separation pay. However when he got his LES this week we found out we were getting TX BAH. DH is upset about it because we had been planning on saving some of our extra money for a down payment on a car for him when he was assigned, but this kind of changes things, and now we will probably just have to figure something else out. He says there is a waiver he can file to appeal it but he thinks it is a waste of time because they will say that I could move out to TX... Is that true? I told him I think he should submit it any ways cause worse thing they can say is no .

Does anyone have experience in this? I'm just curious more than anything. Thanks ladies you are always a help!

Fur/feather momma to Zeus, Inky, Doodle, and Hermes
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Never heard of getting separation pay for basic.
    Did he supply your zip code for the BAH?

BAH is generally for where the spouse is. Before he files a waiver, I suggest he go to finance and talk to them to see what they have you listed as. Its possible they have you listed as living in TX and not whereever you are.

I would not fight the separation pay, I don't believe you qualify.

ETA... seems BAH is based on members Home of Record. Home of Record is the state/location in which he signed his enlistment contract.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Blog Entries
    Not basic he is at AIT.

And I'm not sure... I am pretty sure he did because he asked for my new address cause I moved to the new place which is essentially in the same place but diff zip...

Yeah I don't care about separation pay that isn't a big deal, we were just surprised about the TX BAH.

He signed his enlistment contract where I live now so I'll tell him to talk to finance and see what's up.

4. Senior Member
    When DH was in AIT, we got BAH for his duty station not where I lived. And we didn't get separation pay.

Also, being a holdover has nothing to do with your performance at AIT. Sometimes, soldiers just don't get orders to go somewhere immediately and they just pull 12 hour duties after graduation, until they get their orders and are out-processed. It has nothing to do with their performance, so don't always count on getting orders immediately. A lot DH's battles (some of which were high speeds) were still in GA, waiting for official orders to drop when we moved to his first duty station.

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Does it cost anything to file an appeal?
    Is it just a written statement of facts and dispute?

If you think you are right, and it doesn't cost anything, go for it. Why not?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    AIT is slightly different.

BAH would either be based on duty location or the zip code of his HOR.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Senior Member
    Where is his Home of Record (generally the place he lived when he enlisted, but I believe not always, so it might not be where you live)?

I'd gather a bit more info before filing anything. His command might be annoyed if he does this without speaking to them first, and if he goes to speak to them and doesn't have his facts straight, then he will look foolish and ill-prepared. He needs to do the research and find out what regulations apply, and go in armed with that information if it supports getting BAH or a different location, or getting sep pay.

If he can't get the info or it isn't clear, he can go to finance and ask them what is supposed to happen. He needs to keep in mind, however, that not everyone in Finance is always an expert, so he should ask to see regulations if he thinks he might be getting incorrect info.

Then, armed with all that knowledge, he should file an appeal if the facts and regulations seem to support his claim.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bugbabe623 View Post
    Not basic he is at AIT.

And I'm not sure... I am pretty sure he did because he asked for my new address cause I moved to the new place which is essentially in the same place but diff zip...

Yeah I don't care about separation pay that isn't a big deal, we were just surprised about the TX BAH.

He signed his enlistment contract where I live now so I'll tell him to talk to finance and see what's up.
    I thought AIT meant basic too until I googled it and found out it is MOS school. Different branches use different terminology. For ex: DH (Marines) went to MCT then A-C school after boot camp.

I agree with Guy. Give it a try and see what happens.

9. Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bars_and_bodegas View Post
    When DH was in AIT, we got BAH for his duty station not where I lived. And we didn't get separation pay.

Also, being a holdover has nothing to do with your performance at AIT. Sometimes, soldiers just don't get orders to go somewhere immediately and they just pull 12 hour duties after graduation, until they get their orders and are out-processed. It has nothing to do with their performance, so don't always count on getting orders immediately. A lot DH's battles (some of which were high speeds) were still in GA, waiting for official orders to drop when we moved to his first duty station.
    DH's MOS is generally assigned pretty quickly from what we have seen. Usually within the next block. But in his MOS he can fail an exam for a block and redo the block but it holds him back 5 weeks. So yes we know he could be a hold over but i'm talking about him failing an exam and washing back... but there are always exceptions so we will just wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    AIT is slightly different.

BAH would either be based on duty location or the zip code of his HOR.
    Wonder what determines which one takes priority?

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Where is his Home of Record (generally the place he lived when he enlisted, but I believe not always, so it might not be where you live)?

I'd gather a bit more info before filing anything. His command might be annoyed if he does this without speaking to them first, and if he goes to speak to them and doesn't have his facts straight, then he will look foolish and ill-prepared. He needs to do the research and find out what regulations apply, and go in armed with that information if it supports getting BAH or a different location, or getting sep pay.

If he can't get the info or it isn't clear, he can go to finance and ask them what is supposed to happen. He needs to keep in mind, however, that not everyone in Finance is always an expert, so he should ask to see regulations if he thinks he might be getting incorrect info.

Then, armed with all that knowledge, he should file an appeal if the facts and regulations seem to support his claim.
    His HOR is essentially where I live. He enlisted at Ft. Meade and both zips (where we lived and where i live now) are considered Ft. Meade BAH zones (dunno terminology but when i plug them into BAH rate calculator they pop up as FT. Meade)

The way DH makes it sound, his Chain of command sounds like they are not usually dealing with these things and generally just send him away with most questions unanswered and more questions. But I think he is just being a bonehead and not delving deep enough.

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I thought AIT meant basic too until I googled it and found out it is MOS school. Different branches use different terminology. For ex: DH (Marines) went to MCT then A-C school after boot camp.

I agree with Guy. Give it a try and see what happens.
    Yeah there are so many diff acronyms its so easy to get lost! But I think he will just check in with COC and see what happens first before he files and it turns into a hassle.

Very informative as always, no matter how backwards it seems I'm not going to press it if this is typical. Just trying to understand the BAH structure.

10. Senior Member
    His CoC likely isn't the best source of info. He needs to go to finance for that. But if the info he gets at Finance tells him he should be getting more money, he should keep his command informed.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast