Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BAH with dependent...in Canada

1. Senior Member

BAH with dependent...in Canada

Advertisements
    I've been going through forums and random sites and I'm just getting mixed answers.

Is there anyone here currently living in Canada and married to a US military? (Or know of someone in a similar situation)?

My DB and I are thinking of the "best time" to get married. By that, we are considering his deployment(s). Should we do it before he deploys? When he gets back? Before he leaves for his other deployment? When he gets back from the other deployment? Or maybe just get married when he is completely done his service? (4 or 5 yrs later) Many options ahead.

I have an amazing career here, small business on the side, co-founder of NPO, full-time volunteer for my local church, member of a sports league. I'm not exactly in a rush to drop everything to move to him. Don't get me wrong. I would love to be with him, but if I move to be with him for a year and when he gets deployed for the following year, I will probably go crazy for missing him too much and not know what to distract myself with, being that I'll be in a new place (but that's another topic lol)

One of the factor that we are looking into is if we get married and I stay in Canada, will he get a BAH pay with dependents? I read somewhere that the extra pay for having a dependent is based on where that dependent is actually residing. Since I'll be in Canada, I guess his BAH will not reflect having a dependent, or will it? I read on some forum that a spouse can get allowance even if they're residing in a foreign country (not where the DH is stationed to), somewhere completely different.

I read from another military forum that if the married person is living on base (ship on my DB's case), he will not get BAH. But, he just told me that his friend who is living on the ship with him gets an extra $1,000 for a BAH with dependent (his wife is currently working in another state). So that right there is another confusion.

I told him to ask around, but he said he doesn't even know who to ask. (Thoughts on who he should get a confirmation from?) He asked someone he knows in admin and it was suggested to him that I can just claim I'm living in US with his parents. Actually, other military personnel gave him that advice as well, which is something I will not do. That's fraud to me, so it's not an option.

Thoughts?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Has he talked to his chief and/or someone at PSD? That is where I would start. Normally, I would say that it would be rare for him to live in the barracks and get BAH. But, being stationed on a ship, he already has a rack so he wouldn't need a barracks room. People in a squadron don't have that option so they'd need a barracks room....if they didn't live off base.
  3. Senior Member
    Most places state side they would make him live off base and he would get BAH for dependents where he's stationed.
  4. Senior Member
    His BAH is based on where he is stationed, not where you live. So if he's stationed in San Diego (for example), he'd get San Diego BAH with dependents. However, he very likely will not be allowed to live in base quarters if he is getting BAH. (There are exceptions, but it doesn't seem like there's a policy for exceptions, so it's not something you can count on. Sometimes, if there are lots of open rooms, they *might* allow him to stay, but again you can't count on that and he could be sake dot leave at any time.) But if he has a rack on the ship, he should be able to live there for free, in most cases.

The spouse is not required to be living with the service member in order to get the "with dependents" rate. I can't see why it would matter if you are apart from him and in the US, or apart from him and in Canada.

Maybe what you are reading is referring to when the service member lives overseas and the spouse doesn't go with him? In that case, the service member only gets COLA and OHA (overseas housing allowance, which is what you get instead of BAH when you are stationed overseas) is sometimes at the "no dependents" rate. But that's a whole different animal than when he's stationed stateside and getting BAH. Admittedly, I've never seen your specific situation, but knowing what I do of the rules, I don't see why your physical location would matter.

PSD would be able to answer his questions for sure, but keep in mind that people do make mistakes, so if he gets answers that seem off (like what you posted in the OP), he should make them show him the instruction.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Not related to the BAH question, but I believe the procedure for marrying a foreign national is slightly more complex than marrying a citizen.

I don't know anything more than that (maybe someone else will weigh in) but you might want to make sure your I's are dotted and T's are crossed in that regard.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    Has he talked to his chief and/or someone at PSD? That is where I would start. Normally, I would say that it would be rare for him to live in the barracks and get BAH. But, being stationed on a ship, he already has a rack so he wouldn't need a barracks room. People in a squadron don't have that option so they'd need a barracks room....if they didn't live off base.
    Great! I'll mention the PSD thing. He says he doesn't even know who his chief is. I think he's just overwhelmed, I don't know. Ya, he has a rack and is currently trying to get into the Beacon...something like that. But he apparently has to take a test before he can even apply...some new rule or something. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    Most places state side they would make him live off base and he would get BAH for dependents where he's stationed.
    Oh ok, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    His BAH is based on where he is stationed, not where you live. So if he's stationed in San Diego (for example), he'd get San Diego BAH with dependents. However, he very likely will not be allowed to live in base quarters if he is getting BAH. (There are exceptions, but it doesn't seem like there's a policy for exceptions, so it's not something you can count on. Sometimes, if there are lots of open rooms, they *might* allow him to stay, but again you can't count on that and he could be sake dot leave at any time.) But if he has a rack on the ship, he should be able to live there for free, in most cases.

The spouse is not required to be living with the service member in order to get the "with dependents" rate. I can't see why it would matter if you are apart from him and in the US, or apart from him and in Canada.

Maybe what you are reading is referring to when the service member lives overseas and the spouse doesn't go with him? In that case, the service member only gets COLA and OHA (overseas housing allowance, which is what you get instead of BAH when you are stationed overseas) is sometimes at the "no dependents" rate. But that's a whole different animal than when he's stationed stateside and getting BAH. Admittedly, I've never seen your specific situation, but knowing what I do of the rules, I don't see why your physical location would matter.

PSD would be able to answer his questions for sure, but keep in mind that people do make mistakes, so if he gets answers that seem off (like what you posted in the OP), he should make them show him the instruction.
    I just read from another forum that it was based on the dependent's place, unless I misunderstood it. My DB actually made a joke saying he should marry someone from NYC and get her to stay there, they apparently get higher BAH. I think we're both confused on that then. We definitely need that clarified :S I'll mention the PSD, hopefully he can get some answers. Thank you for the detailed response.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Not related to the BAH question, but I believe the procedure for marrying a foreign national is slightly more complex than marrying a citizen.

I don't know anything more than that (maybe someone else will weigh in) but you might want to make sure your I's are dotted and T's are crossed in that regard.
    Thanks for bringing that up as well. I read up a bit on Fiance Visa vs. Spouse Visa...still trying to nail down the difference. Definitely another thing to look into.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    BAH is confusing. We got BAH for where my DH was stationed versus where the kids and I were. It was higher where he was stationed. When we got here he had a couple schools to go to before officially checking in. But since he was guaranteed they changed our BAH from VA to WA. But he was told, by multiple people in multiple PSD offices, that had the kids and I stayed in VA we would have gotten BAH for VA, not WA, because it is higher. I just don't know how they'd figure Canada BAH if they determine to give BAH for where you are. Up until we moved here I was under the impression it was always for where the service member is stationed. However, it is apparently not that cut and dry.

What about his LPO? What department is he in on the ship?
  8. Senior Member
    BAH rules depend on situation. For example when my husband was in Korea we got BAH for where we lived. Same when he was in Germany. But it's generally only with overseas assignment that it's based on the dependents or when they have to be unaccompanied at schools etc.
  9. Junior Member
    I was under the impression that you couldn't received BAH (or any kind of living expense) for dependents overseas (wouldn't Canada count as overseas?). I have been told countless times that we would not receive any kind of BAH/OHA if I were to live in England while my husband was deployed etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post

In regards to the military? I know some people have had to ask permission etc. to marry a non-us citizen (might depend on branch?). My husband didn't have to ask anything or get permission when he married me. We applied for the fiancee visa when he was in Tucson (he follow-on assignment from England) and the process took 6 months. I flew out when I received my visa and had 90 days to get married in order to adjust my status to permanent resident. My husband was actually on a list to deploy when I arrived and they removed him so that we could get married (which was very nice of his squadron!). It was a little lengthy but pretty straight forward.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamzyn View Post
    I was under the impression that you couldn't received BAH (or any kind of living expense) for dependents overseas (wouldn't Canada count as overseas?). I have been told countless times that we would not receive any kind of BAH/OHA if I were to live in England while my husband was deployed etc.

In regards to the military? I know some people have had to ask permission etc. to marry a non-us citizen (might depend on branch?). My husband didn't have to ask anything or get permission when he married me. We applied for the fiancee visa when he was in Tucson (he follow-on assignment from England) and the process took 6 months. I flew out when I received my visa and had 90 days to get married in order to adjust my status to permanent resident. My husband was actually on a list to deploy when I arrived and they removed him so that we could get married (which was very nice of his squadron!). It was a little lengthy but pretty straight forward.
    Is that while he was deployed from Germany, or while he was deployed from the States? I believe it makes a difference because in one case it would be OHA (which requires a local lease, so it wouldn't work if you weren't living locally), and in the other it would be BAH.

If he was stationed in the States at the time, then that seems really weird. Because of this thread, I went and read some of the BAH instructions and I didn't see anything that said it matters at all where the spouse is living. IANAExpert, by any means, so there could be more instructions that I missed, but based on what I saw, there is no requirement for the spouse to be living with the SM, or even in the same country, in order to collect BAH.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast