Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCSing and continuing with psychiatric care....

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

PCSing and continuing with psychiatric care....

Advertisements
    Okay, we are PCSing to Great Lakes next month. Within the last year I was diagnosed with Bipolar 1 and a slew of other mental disorders. I am really nervous about having a lag in my mental health care, because I obviously need my medications and they are prescriptions that my primary would not be able to prescribe. I am not designated as EMF for some reason (my spouse recently told me that I needed to go to my primary and ask for EMF paperwork, but I thought that they had to tell someone in their command?!). Either way, my primary knows that I am Bipolar and I have no idea why they wouldn't designate me as EMF (I did a month long partial hospitalization, which, apart from the Bipolar diagnosis immediately designates me as EMF, my primary also knows about that). We are currently Tricare South. Should I call Tricare North and ask about psychiatric care? I do a search on hnfs.com and the only psychiatrist that pops up is the one on base. I am so confused and my spouse isn't a great help. *Sigh* I am nervous about PCSing and worried that I will have a slight relapse (Bipolar people don't do so great with cold weather, as my therapist told me). We had the orders before I was diagnosed. Any help would be great!
  2. Senior Member
    Usually with EFMP, you have to be your own advocate and make sure it's done properly. You say that you don't know why your primary wouldn't designate you as EFM. Did you ask him to? (I assume you see a military doctor?) I'd contact the EFMP coordinator at your new base to start a conversation with them.

Explain to your current prescribing doctor that you will be moving and ask if he can write a prescription for 6 months to get you through until you've established care in the area. It shouldn't be a problem.

And yes, I'd call Tricare North now and ask for referrals, and call the doctors now to make appointments. Are you standard, or prime?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I don't really have answers but Switching Tricare regions is really challenging when you have necessary-for-daily-life prescriptions that can't be skipped. It generally works out in the end, but even just the stress and worry frustrating. I would definitely try to get signed up for EFMP, even if it doesn't happen at your current location I would bring it up to your PCM at the new base immediately.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you both so much! I am Tricare Prime. To be honest, I am absolutely clueless whenever it comes to most things about the military. I've been married for almost a year, but it never really occurred to me that there would be special considerations due to my mental health. My wife swears she told me a few months ago that I needed to make an appointment with my PCP for EFMP designation but I was in a really bad state and I don't remember. :/ I will be calling Tricare North next week to see what I can do -- some of my meds are scary if you try to come off of them improperly! I know that my current psychiatrist will have no problem prescribing me medication for 3 months, as that's how he usually does it anyways. Hopefully it will be a smooth transition!