Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting an ID card without your Sponsor?

1. Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Blog Entries

Getting an ID card without your Sponsor?

Advertisements
    So I'm hearing various things on this and I figured you ladies would know better about this sort of thing.

DF is in AIT currently and we have been talking about just getting married legally in the next few weeks and doing the ceremony next year. Now I'm going to have to fly out there to do this and we got the license and the who and the what stuff figured out. But I just found out that I need an ID card to receive my health benefits stuff and I was told by another military spouse in my area that you need your sponsor in order to obtain an ID card. But I've read mixed things on this so I figured I'd ask people who have probably dealt with this kind of thing.

I need to figure this out because I just started a new job and if I can help it, I'd prefer to not enroll in my employment benefits package so that I don't have to deal with the paper work later of cancelling it (not to mention its SUPER expensive and I don't want to pay for a short time and not even use it...). But I panic that i won't sign up, we will get married and it ends up I have to wait til he comes back for christmas exodus to get my card and it takes forever for the benefits... etc etc...

So I was trying to figure out if it was at ALL possible for us to get our license stuff all straightened out (court house wedding mind you so a judge will be signing off) and then go directly to DEERS (same day if possible, or would it take two days?) fill that madness out then go get me an ID card so I can enroll? I mean if it is possible for me to get my own ID card at the base near me without him and do all that kind of stuff without him, then I'm not going to panic... but if I need him to get anything like the ID done so i can get benefits

Thanks lady I'd appreciate your help!

Fur/feather momma to Zeus, Inky, Doodle, and Hermes
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

There is an online signature system (RAPIDS) that your husband can use to authorize you receiving your ID card. Also, you can use a POA (Power of Attorney). Some places will require a special POA, others just require a general. I used a general POA to get a new ID card when I lost mine during my husband's last deployment.

ETA: Just noticed that it's DF. You will need to have your marriage license with you to be entered into DEERS. I'm not sure if RAPIDS is available for an initial entry into DEERS. If your DF is with you to get married, you should be able to go to the base right afterwards and get entered into DEERS. I also had to bring my letter from the social security office stating that I had submitted to change my last name. So you may have to make your trip to the social security office before you head over to base.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

To enroll into DEERS without your sponsor available, he will need to give you a Power of Attorney for them to process that. Also, if you do the courthouse wedding, you'll need to take your marriage certificate to the courthouse to have it filed and have a certified copy for DEERS. Also just a heads up, if you want your name to reflect your married name on your DEERS ID card, you'll have to have your driver's license and social security updated. I hadn't gone to get that done yet before I went to DEERS and I had my maiden name on my ID card for a month or two before we finally had the time to go back and update it with my new social ID card and drivers license.

4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    You can try to do it all on the same day.
    I would take all forms of identification with you that you can (birth cert, drivers license, social security card, marriage license) to the ID office.
    Basically, you need to get enrolled in DEERS and that can same business day with just a marriage license. To get an ID card you need 2 forms of identification and a signed DD1172 (signed by spouse). I would plan to try to do it all the same day, or next day.

If you cannot get it done, don't fret. Get a power of attorney before you leave base and have him sign the DD1172 and give it you (or do it electronically). Then when you get your official marriage license, new SS card and new DL you can get your ID card again. While normally you do need an ID card to show when you go to doctor you don't need it to enroll into DEERS. You enroll in DEERS first THEN you get an ID card. DEERS is where you get your benefits from.

So, you can get a Tricare medical card to use in lieu of an ID card if needed.

If you can risk a lapse in medical care until you get married I would say don't enroll. Or find out what it takes to disenroll from current employer.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

I'm curious though too, do you have to enroll in health insurance through your employer if you don't have proof other other benefits? Like with DH, we were on Tricare from him being Active Duty but when benefits enrollment came around I just opted not to enroll and signed a form saying I chose not to sign up and that was it!

6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalouwho2 View Post
    I'm curious though too, do you have to enroll in health insurance through your employer if you don't have proof other other benefits? Like with DH, we were on Tricare from him being Active Duty but when benefits enrollment came around I just opted not to enroll and signed a form saying I chose not to sign up and that was it!
    Depends on the company.
    With my company I didn't have to prove I had insurance I just checked the waive box. With DH, because they have an opt out program that pays the employee for opting out he had to show proof that he had coverage.

With Affordable Care Act, I don't know if now they have to prove insurance, as my 'enrollment' period was before ACA came into effect.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Blog Entries
    I asked my HR person here and explained the situation and she said that I don't have to prove i'm receiving benefits elsewhere just check the waived box or not turn in my forms... and said as long as I have faith that I can get enrolled and squared away that she would also say to save on paperwork and paychecks to just opt out of my benefits and if something happens and I need health care to fulfill the ACA just go to another source and deal with that madness at a later date.

Ok so as long as we have a copy or the original of the marriage license it would be doable to obtain our license, do the court house wedding, and then run to DEERS and get that situation squared away and maybe get an ID card potentially same day? And if not on the card then I would just get a POA and go that route at a later date.

So I DON'T need an ID to get benefits, as long as we get through DEERS that same day I should be set? Then I can take my time to get my stuff together and go get the ID card perhaps christmas exodus and I will have my name changed and all that jazz...

Can we get my ID together at the base that is near my house when he comes home for christmas? Or does it have to be at his AIT?

Thanks ladies you've been super helpful already

Fur/feather momma to Zeus, Inky, Doodle, and Hermes
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    You don't NEED an ID card for benefits. Its easier if you do but you do not NEED it. You can get an insurance card from Tricare, or you can print out from Tricare online proof of enrollment and take that to the doctor's office (should you need to see doctor before getting an ID card).

I would get the ID card as soon as you can.

However, if you don't get to it before exodus then yes, you can go get it any base. Be sure to check the hours for that base, as many are on shortened hours during the holidays.

I just saw your location. You are not shy of bases around the area to get your ID card.. you have at least 1/2 dozen to choose from. Can be any base, any branch, any location.

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bugbabe623 View Post
    Ok so as long as we have a copy or the original of the marriage license it would be doable to obtain our license, do the court house wedding, and then run to DEERS and get that situation squared away and maybe get an ID card potentially same day? And if not on the card then I would just get a POA and go that route at a later date.

So I DON'T need an ID to get benefits, as long as we get through DEERS that same day I should be set? Then I can take my time to get my stuff together and go get the ID card perhaps christmas exodus and I will have my name changed and all that jazz...

Can we get my ID together at the base that is near my house when he comes home for christmas? Or does it have to be at his AIT?

Thanks ladies you've been super helpful already
    It is not the marriage license you need, it is the marriage certificate. You should be able to call the courthouse ahead of time to find out how you go about getting your marriage certificate on the same day that you get married.

Never heard of using a Tricare medical card instead of an ID. You will need some type of ID to prove you have benefits if you need to see a doctor as I can't imagine a doctor just taking your word for it.

The ID can be done at any facility. However, they don't all require the same pieces of paper to prove you are who you say you are. The best thing to do is call the office you plan on going to ahead of time so you have all the paperwork they require - that way you don't have to make two trips.
  10. Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Fur/Feather/Scale Momma
    Blog Entries
    Thank goodness! I feel so relieved!

Also I figured there was a difference between license and certificate. But I will definitely be looking into getting the certificate too.

Thank you
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast