Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Questions About Backpay for BAH

1. Regular Member

Questions About Backpay for BAH

Advertisements
    I tried reading through a few of the threads to find these - sorry if this is already posted somewhere!

DF quietly became DH in early August. He applied for BAH a few days after. About two weeks later, they said that they sent the paperwork to the wrong office. Not a huge deal, we saved enough and planned out for just this thing to happen. However, it's another three weeks later, and we still haven't heard anything.

So, the questions I have are 1) Should I (or he) call and check again? 2)Will the back pay start from when they (the correct office) receive the paperwork, or from the date that we got married? 3) Is there a limit on how long the backpay will be? I asked a wife in the apartment complex we are in, and she said that they only back pay up to one month?

Not super stressed about it, just wanting to know for budgeting/planning. Any answers/links/explanations would be greatly appreciated!
  2. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

It can take a while for BAH to kick in so that's not too surprising but BAH should back pay to the date of when you guys got married. At least it did for DH and I.

3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Yeah, it can take up to 3 months for BAH to kick in.
    It will be back dated to date of marriage.

He can call, and I would have him call just to be sure the paperwork was sent to the proper place.

the earliest you would get BAH would likely be this upcoming pay day (Sept 15th).

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. Banned
    Banned
    it can take 90 days for BAH to start after your entered into the DEERS system.
    it will be back dated to the date of marriage.

when did he put you into the DEERS system?
    Last edited by Lynn; 09-10-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Because I can.
  5. Senior Member
    Was he living in the barracks when you got married? If so, when did he officially clear out of the barracks? He will not receive BAH until the day after he cleared out of the barracks.
  6. Regular Member
    If you are married before your DH goes to basic, does there still tend to be a delay in BAH?
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylah View Post
    If you are married before your DH goes to basic, does there still tend to be a delay in BAH?
    Yes, but not like the OP situation. You will get BAH in the first check, the first check itself is delayed.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't