Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Brand New to BAH

1. Regular Member

Brand New to BAH

Advertisements
    DH and I got married August 1st, 2014 right before he went to tech school. Since he has been there, there have been issues getting me into DEERS, because of time constraints with classes, notarization issues etc. He has gotten all of my information through financial, but I have heard that basically doesn’t matter if I am not in DEERS. We know that we are supposed to get BAH and separation pay while he is at school, but we also know that if I am not in the DEERS system that it doesn’t occur. Does anyone know if we get “back pay” since we were married before he went to school? This probably is a dumb question and I feel like I should know all this information already, but I am brand new to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Senior Member
    My husband was in AIT when we married. He was able to schedule appointments during class time to get me into DEERS. We got paid quite a chunk of money when the BAH did start coming in because it was, like, two months after we got married.

3. Senior Member
    Yes he should be getting back pay on the bah to the date you were married.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 07:21 AM.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamajoj View Post
    He has gotten all of my information through financial, but I have heard that basically doesn’t matter if I am not in DEERS.
    DEERS is the first step. I don't know how he could have gotten your information to Finance if you aren't in DEERS yet.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamajoj View Post
    He has gotten all of my information through financial, but I have heard that basically doesn’t matter if I am not in DEERS.
    DEERS is the first step. I don't know how he could have gotten your information to Finance if you aren't in DEERS yet.
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Everything I looked up online said that DEERS had to be completed first. We aren't getting any of the financial benefits yet; I think they basically just know I exist. The only reason why he talked to them first is because it was part of his in take processing. He's having issues getting the copy of my ID notarized, but they said he should be getting it done tomorrow after his test.
  8. Moderator

Getting stuff done in tech school can be a gigantic pain in the butt. I hope he can get it all sorted! You should get everything backpaid though, yes.