Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Where to enroll in DEERS/Housing and BAH questions

1. Regular Member

Where to enroll in DEERS/Housing and BAH questions

Advertisements
    OH is in the Marine Corp and my advice has been coming from an AF wife so I don't know how well it carries over or how much I'm actually understanding correctly.
    My "advisor", for lack of a better term, said after we get married I can go to any military base (Marine or not) and get enrolled in DEERS, Tricare and get my ID made. OH is saying all this has to be done at his PDS. This wouldn't be a problem but he's stationed in Hawaii and I live in Ohio.
    I was also told to have OH put us on the waiting list for on base housing since it could be quite long. This would mean getting on the list in late Jan/early Feb. My semester ends April 28th and I graduate May 2nd so there is no way I could be on base before May 4th (taking into consideration flight time). What happens if he puts our name on the list and we're offered a house before I can move in?
    In regards to housing: If I understood correctly he can get BAH from the day we become eligible (the day I get enrolled in DEERS), does this mean if I'm still in Ohio and we're on the wait list he gets his BAH? Where does he live during this time frame, the barracks, temporary lodging or does he have to find his own place?
    OH hasn't been able to get any information and with conflicting schedules we can't get much time to talk.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Senior Member
    I'm also an AF wife, but most of this seems to transfer from branch to branch. I'll see how much I can answer:

1) As far as I know you can go to any military base to have your ID made. I'm not sure if you will need a power of attorney if your DH is not with you, though.

2) You will receive BAH from the time you're eligible unless your DH is in the barracks (from my experience). He can get an apartment, rent a room, whatever he wants. Also, if a spot becomes available before you move out there why can't your husband accept the house? You don't need to be there for him to do that (again, from my experience).
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Senior Member
    If you have all the correct paperwork (for ID you need the form, I forget the number) and a POA) and you can go into a reserve base or if you are near Wright Patt and get your ID card made. I think getting enrolled into deers gets you enrolled in tricare. I could be wrong on this though.

Do you have your command sponsorship to go to Hawaii? He needs to check if they will let him get on the list if you are not authorized by the gov't. It is my understanding (also as an AF wife) that once married his branch CAN kick him out of the dorms/barracks although many will let them live there for a fee (since they are receiving BAH). That is something he will have to go to his command about.
  4. Senior Member
    Any base with proper paperwork. You can call and ask questions for the base closest to you.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 07:26 AM.
  6. Regular Member
    Thanks everyone! I want to be prepared for all of this and where better to go for advice than the people who have done it.