Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Dental for retirees

1. Senior Member

Dental for retirees

Advertisements
    and family.....

Can anyone give me an approximate cost for retirees and their family?

Thanks.
  2. Senior Member
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    We pay $131 at the moment..

Its high compared to most other plans... if you can get Delta Dental cheaper elsewhere, do it.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 07:27 AM.
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    it would be 87.00 for just DH and I and 131 for the family plan, we are not getting it.

DH and I get 1 cleaning a year at 99 dollars for cash pay each, exrays included. panoramic is done every three years and is 249.

so we are going to set up an account specifically for paying for dental a little like an FSA account-

we just did both the panoramic and xrays and had cleanings this month, so we will be good to go for a year.
    This would make sense if you wouldn't have any other issues or super expensive things that need to happen..

like kids' braces. It may only be $1750 that they pay but that's $1750 less than I need to out of pocket.
    Basically.. if you have anything that needs to be done besides cleanings and x-rays its going to be super expensive without insurance.
    So, IMO, something is needed if you think there will be more than just cleanings.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Senior Member
    We also chose not to have dental insurance. It is just the two of us.
  7. Senior Member
    Yeah, I have several kids and one or two might need braces so going without is not an option.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Yeah, I have several kids and one or two might need braces so going without is not an option.
    If your only option is Tricare, then do it. If your husband (or you) are going to get a better plan through an employer that is cheaper, do that.

For us, hubby gets $$ for opting out, that opt out money pays for Tricare.. it was just easier that way than having to find all new dentists, and our kids were in the process of getting braces and I didn't want to muck it up or delay anything.

I did find out (only after I gave ortho new insurance info) that if you do not enroll in Tricare Retiree Dental (TRDP) within 4 months of retirement then you are automatically on hold for one year for any orthodontics. The lady at ortho office told me we didn't have ortho insurance. Once we called Tricare they informed us that because we enrolled within 4 months the one year wait was waived. So, just be aware of that. If you don't do it within 4 months then you will not have any ortho coverage for at least 1 year.

9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    If your only option is Tricare, then do it. If your husband (or you) are going to get a better plan through an employer that is cheaper, do that.

For us, hubby gets $$ for opting out, that opt out money pays for Tricare.. it was just easier that way than having to find all new dentists, and our kids were in the process of getting braces and I didn't want to muck it up or delay anything.

I did find out (only after I gave ortho new insurance info) that if you do not enroll in Tricare Retiree Dental (TRDP) within 4 months of retirement then you are automatically on hold for one year for any orthodontics. The lady at ortho office told me we didn't have ortho insurance. Once we called Tricare they informed us that because we enrolled within 4 months the one year wait was waived. So, just be aware of that. If you don't do it within 4 months then you will not have any ortho coverage for at least 1 year.
    Very good information to have. Thank you.