Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GI Bill question (yup - another)

1. Junior Member

GI Bill question (yup - another)

Advertisements
    So - does anyone have any experience/info about the following situation --- transferring a half-used Montgomery GI Bill to the post 9/11 one, then transferring that (or the remainder) to a spouse/dependent? My husband used 2 years worth of his MGIB when he separated and went through ROTC. Now he's back in and wants to convert it to the post 9/11 and transfer that to me so I can use it towards my undergrad (I have a little less than 2 years left). He's been in for 12 in total, and plans to retire (fingers crossed) so will be committing another 8 years plus.

Thanks!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

2. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

When did he get out to begin with? There is a ten year limit on the MGI bill from when he got out.
  3. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    When did he get out to begin with? There is a ten year limit on the MGI bill from when he got out.
    2010 - came back in in 2012

4. Banned
    Banned
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 07:29 AM.
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

He may want to wait until he gets his masters before he transfers... I've known guys who had to dip into their gi bill to finish. Just a thought.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    in order to transfer he will need to commit to 4 more years- regardless of when he went back in.

however he will only have 12 months left on the GI bill since he used 24 months of the Montgomery bill and you would not get the housing allowance- only books ( 1,000 per year) and the tuition that is paid directly to the school.
    I thought that it went by semesters and it roughly broke down into 8 semesters with the MGI Bill? So he used 4 semesters - so he'll have 4 semester left?

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    He may want to wait until he gets his masters before he transfers... I've known guys who had to dip into their gi bill to finish. Just a thought.
    He's almost half-way done with his masters TA is covering about 95% of it and he gets a scholarship each semester that covers the small amount left over from what TA doesn't pay. Luckily the tuition for his masters classes with UMUC Europe are over half the price of UMUC in the States .. so he's taking advantage of that and getting it done while we are here.

7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

For the 9/11 bill that I'm using, they count each day of a semester to add up to 36 months. So if he went four semesters, they'd count up the literal days of each one and subtract it from the 36 months. But I don't know how it would work transferring over from the Montgomery.
  8. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    For the 9/11 bill that I'm using, they count each day of a semester to add up to 36 months. So if he went four semesters, they'd count up the literal days of each one and subtract it from the 36 months. But I don't know how it would work transferring over from the Montgomery.
    So if he was in class for 16 weeks (approx. 4 months), twice a year (8 months) for two years (16 month give or take the extra days based on the month etc), then he should have about 16 or so months left? Which would be 2 years?

Sorry for all the questions and clarifications

9. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Tamzyn View Post
    So if he was in class for 16 weeks (approx. 4 months), twice a year (8 months) for two years (16 month give or take the extra days based on the month etc), then he should have about 16 or so months left? Which would be 2 years?

Sorry for all the questions and clarifications
    Yes I believe so. That is how you can actually get a four year degree out of it (or more depending on how many credits you take), because it's added up that way and not by year (since obviously 36 months would only be three years). For instance my last statement I received from them said "You have 31 months and 3 days remaining".
  10. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by Tamzyn View Post
    I thought that it went by semesters and it roughly broke down into 8 semesters with the MGI Bill? So he used 4 semesters - so he'll have 4 semester left?

He's almost half-way done with his masters TA is covering about 95% of it and he gets a scholarship each semester that covers the small amount left over from what TA doesn't pay. Luckily the tuition for his masters classes with UMUC Europe are over half the price of UMUC in the States .. so he's taking advantage of that and getting it done while we are here.
    Awesome!
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast