Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "DoD quietly tightens tuition assistance rules"

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

"DoD quietly tightens tuition assistance rules"

Advertisements
    Force-wide changes to the military’s Tuition Assistance program may require troops to pay back their TA money if they perform poorly in class.

Service members taking undergraduate courses will have to achieve a grade of C or higher, and those taking graduate-level classes must obtain a grade of B or higher, or else they will be subject to “recoupment” and may have to pay out-of-pocket cash retroactively for the class’s costs, according to an internal policy change that Defense Department officials approved July 7 but did not publicly announce.

Service members who receive a grade of “I” for incomplete will have to repay their TA money if they fail to complete the class and convert the “I” into a satisfactory grade.

The TA program also will no longer cover laboratory fees or other fees that come on top of tuition, according to the new rules. Service members may have to pay out-of-pocket cash for those fees.

“Educational institutions that bundle tuition, fees, or books into a consolidated cost must detail the charges of fees and books separately for Service members participating in the TA program,” according to the updated DoD Instruction outlining the changes.

“Fees include any charge not directly related to course instruction, including but not limited to costs associated with room, board, distance learning, equipment, supplies, books/materials, exams, insurance, parking, transportation, admissions, registration, or fines,” according to the instruction.

DoD’s Tuition Assistance costs have soared in recent years as the benefit became more generous, school costs increased and more service members sought to participate. But now, as the Pentagon is facing long-term budget cuts, officials are scaling back the level of payments and revising some eligibility rules.
    Source: DoD quietly tightens tuition assistance rules | Air Force Times | airforcetimes.com

I think it's a good thing that they're going to seek reimbursement for low grades.

Thoughts?
  2. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I agree with you on the grades thing but they should cover laboratory fees. They're not optional and necessary for anyone who is taking a science or technology class. Honestly, knowing I would have to pay out of pocket for them would make me want to take classes in something simple instead of classes that may be very useful for a career such and engineering or electronics.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Good. I think it should be tightened even more to exclude the for-profit schools which are beyond taking advantage of people.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I agree with you on the grades thing but they should cover laboratory fees. They're not optional and necessary for anyone who is taking a science or technology class. Honestly, knowing I would have to pay out of pocket for them would make me want to take classes in something simple instead of classes that may be very useful for a career such and engineering or electronics.

I do I agree with you on that. I think the fees for lab and technology fees and distance learning should be covered.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Good. I think it should be tightened even more to exclude the for-profit schools which are beyond taking advantage of people.
    I agree.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    This. That's an unfair disadvantage that science majors are going to face and I think that part is crap.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

7. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    Sounds fair and seems reasonable. At least for the "I" and low grades, part.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    This. I read a really good article a few weeks ago about how the for profit online schools will even specifically target military members. I'll have to see if I can find it, there were some good statistics.

But I think not paying the lab fees sucks, they're mandatory and can be a good chunk of change.
  9. Member
    This doesn't seem like a new policy, my husband was informed when he started using TA 2 years ago he had to maintain a B in the class or he'd have to pay it back.
  10. Senior Member
    Part of the reason I haven't started school yet is im terrified to pick the "wrong" school.

I think it is a good thing about the low grades. I do think the part about the lab fees ect sucks, though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast