Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enrolling in DEERS late in pregnancy! Tricare questions! I'm so confused!

1. Regular Member

Enrolling in DEERS late in pregnancy! Tricare questions! I'm so confused!

Advertisements
    Ok, I have no idea how Tricare works, and could really use some help!

My husband and I were married in April, I am pregnant and due in November. He is based in Virginia now, I will be moving up there (from Georgia) in late August or early September. I was just recently enrolled in DEERS. DH says I am automatically covered by Tricare Standard (is this true? God, I hope so) Ok, great! I have healthcare for the remainder of my time in Georgia, however I'm not sure what to do once I get to Virginia. And because I will be so late in my pregnancy, I'll need to be going to the doctor once every two weeks. So here's where I'm confused...

Assuming I stay on Tricare Standard-

1. How do I make Dr. appointments once I move up to Virginia? Do I need an insurance card from Tricare?

2. Can I only be seen by military doctors and only deliver at the hospital on base (Portsmouth)? Or can I be seen by civilian doctors and deliver at a civilian hospital?

3. What costs am I responsible for on Standard? Are there co-pays at each Dr. appointment? Hospital bills after delivery?

Of course DH has no idea how to answer my questions, he said he will ask around but I'm stressed out and have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get everything straight for the move, so I would really appreciate any help I can get.
  2. Senior Member
    Have you tried calling Tricare South's customer service line? They've always been great about answering my questions and explaining things to me. Their contact info is at the top of this page.

3. Regular Member
    I spoke to them regarding switching to tricare prime, and started the enrollment process, however it isn't effective until September 1st, and once I move to Virginia (probably right before sept. 1 anyways) I will have to re-enroll up there and they have to dis-enroll me from tricare south (?) which could take another month. According to the woman I spoke with. I guess it couldn't hurt to call back and ask them these questions? I'm really just interested in tricare standard since I won't have to wait to be enrolled.
  4. Senior Member
    Yeah, I totally understand with the whole waiting period. Prime won't kick in for me until August 1, but I received my insurance card in the mail like two weeks ago. The representative for Tricare told me over the phone that the military hospitals are usually pretty good about getting Prime patients in if they have to be seen before their coverage date (although I have no idea as to the validity of that claim).

I found this page, which seems pretty informative. But if that page doesn't answer your questions, I would call back and ask to speak to someone about Tricare standard -- because I'm almost certain that customer service line is for both prime and standard.

5. Banned
    Banned
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 07:30 AM.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I would stay on Standard. All you have to do is find a provider that accepts Tricare Standard. Which can be done on Tricare's website. You'll want an in-network provider to keep your costs minimal. All I paid was about $50 for my hospital stay. Nothing for my apts. No co-pays.

I'm assuming you'll be in the Hampton Roads area. I delivered at Sentara Norfolk and had a nice experience. Everyone was very nice even though I was 1 of 14 that delivered that day and they were very busy. I was told it normally isn't like that. Sentara Princess Anne L&D is new and looks amazing. I tried to go there buy couldn't find a dr with privileges there.

Oh and your Military ID is your insurance card. His social security number serves as the policy number, too.
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    I would stay on Standard. All you have to do is find a provider that accepts Tricare Standard. Which can be done on Tricare's website. You'll want an in-network provider to keep your costs minimal. All I paid was about $50 for my hospital stay. Nothing for my apts. No co-pays.

I'm assuming you'll be in the Hampton Roads area. I delivered at Sentara Norfolk and had a nice experience. Everyone was very nice even though I was 1 of 14 that delivered that day and they were very busy. I was told it normally isn't like that. Sentara Princess Anne L&D is new and looks amazing. I tried to go there buy couldn't find a dr with privileges there.

Oh and your Military ID is your insurance card. His social security number serves as the policy number, too.

Yes we are staying in Hampton, I'm not familiar with the area, so I'm a little nervous about the hospitals up there.The hospital I was set to deliver at down here is wonderful and has private rooms and tubs and I was really excited and I have heard some mixed stories about Portsmouth, so it is nice to hear that there are some good options up there! Thank you!
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    the switch from region to region is automatic there is no delay.

but you cannot switch until you are actually in VA.

you can stay on standard and see civilian doctors, you just call ask if they accept tricare and make an appointment if they do- standard is very easy to use.
    That is great! Thank you! The tricare rep I spoke to was not very informative and definitely did not tell me there was no delay in switching to another region. I had kinda wondered about that, it doesn't make much sense that military families who tend to move a lot, would have breaks in insurance coverage .
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Which base is he at? My DH was in a squadron at Oceana so we lived in VA Bch. We were there for 4.5 years-until this passed March.
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    Which base is he at? My DH was in a squadron at Oceana so we lived in VA Bch. We were there for 4.5 years-until this passed March.
    He is at naval station norfolk. I would've liked to live in the VA beach area but we really liked Hampton! Hoping to be there for a while!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast