Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Probably a stupid question (regarding tricare)

  1. Account Closed
    Yabos's Avatar
    Yabos is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Not Texas
    Posts
    12,236
    #1

    Help Probably a stupid question (regarding tricare)

    Advertisements
    So it's been about a year since I've gone to the lady doctor, and I need a dentist appt. is there a way I can go to a doctor that's not at medical and still be covered by tricare?

    For some reason they send me to a base that's 30 minutes away rather than the one 3 minutes down the road...and it was easily the worst experience I've had medically, and I'd rather avoid that again.


    Any help with this would be awesome!

  2. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,069
    #2
    Is your primary care doc at the 30-min away base? If you want a new one, I think you have to call Tricare and ask. But it may be that all the PCPs at the close base are full (or maybe they don't even have any PCPs.)

    As for a different doctor, I think Prime will cover some of it as long as they're in the network, but not all of it.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  3. Account Closed
    Yabos's Avatar
    Yabos is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Not Texas
    Posts
    12,236
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    Is your primary care doc at the 30-min away base? If you want a new one, I think you have to call Tricare and ask. But it may be that all the PCPs at the close base are full (or maybe they don't even have any PCPs.)

    As for a different doctor, I think Prime will cover some of it as long as they're in the network, but not all of it.
    Yeah I think so. I went to the closer one when a had an awful bladder infection because that's whereDH goes and they said they couldn't see me.

    Ugh okay, thank you. I guess I'll have to go back there lmao
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    TrishAFSpouse's Avatar
    TrishAFSpouse is offline
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    12,308
    #4
    hmmm..
    i've always been able to pick whichever obgyn and dentist i wanted.
    When i go to make my appt for ob they give me all the appts for all bases within 45 mins of me. I pick the closest one.
    Dentist, I just found one that was in metlife network.

    You don't have to see a PCM to see an OB, you can call ob direct to make your annual exam appt.

    As far as seeing PCM at closer base.. you have to change your PCM if the one you have is at the further base.

    For bladder infection, next time go to base ER.. they cannot refuse you.

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    missinghim's Avatar
    missinghim is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,316
    #5
    You can request to see whatever PCM you want, you just have to go to referral management on base and fill out the paperwork. They can deny you but you can at least try.

    Your dentist you can go to whoever you want, but to be covered it needs to be in the Metlife network. For UTIs, our base clinic has walk in hours for that and strep testing. Just call the clinic and see if they have the same for you.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

    Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  6. Senior Member
    Heisenberg's Avatar
    Heisenberg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    16,413
    #6
    You can ask to be switched to the place that's closer to you, you just have to call. They did the same thing to me when I was in Hawaii and it was a super easy fix.
  7. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,069
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    hmmm..
    i've always been able to pick whichever obgyn and dentist i wanted.
    When i go to make my appt for ob they give me all the appts for all bases within 45 mins of me. I pick the closest one.
    Dentist, I just found one that was in metlife network.

    You don't have to see a PCM to see an OB, you can call ob direct to make your annual exam appt.

    As far as seeing PCM at closer base.. you have to change your PCM if the one you have is at the further base.

    For bladder infection, next time go to base ER.. they cannot refuse you.
    With Prime? When I was on it, I was told by my PCM that I needed a referral from her to go to OBGYN (and anything else).
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  8. Senior Member
    missinghim's Avatar
    missinghim is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,316
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    With Prime? When I was on it, I was told by my PCM that I needed a referral from her to go to OBGYN (and anything else).
    It depends on if your clinic has an OB available or if you have to go off base. If there is an OB available on base you can just make an appt, but if you have to go off base you need a referral. That's how it worked with me on Prime.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

    Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    TrishAFSpouse's Avatar
    TrishAFSpouse is offline
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    12,308
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    With Prime? When I was on it, I was told by my PCM that I needed a referral from her to go to OBGYN (and anything else).
    Yes, on prime. I've never had to go through my PCM first. I just call OB directly.

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  10. Team Rocket
    rocket_lizz's Avatar
    rocket_lizz is offline
    Team Rocket
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San Diego!!!
    Posts
    9,069
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    It depends on if your clinic has an OB available or if you have to go off base. If there is an OB available on base you can just make an appt, but if you have to go off base you need a referral. That's how it worked with me on Prime.
    Oh hmm I had to go to a completely different base for OB so maybe that's why
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •