Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricare Standard as secondary insurance for having a baby??

1. Senior Member

Tricare Standard as secondary insurance for having a baby??

Advertisements
    Does anyone have any experience with Tricare Standard as secondary insurance?

I have a private OB and plan to deliver at a non-military hospital. I have private insurance (United Healthcare) through my job and it looks like having a baby is going to end up costing close to $3,000 out of pocket when all is said and done. Does anyone know if Tricare Standard will cover any of that $3,000? Any experience with what it will and will not cover and any special hoops I need to jump through?

You would think that I would know something about health insurance but all of this stuff is confusing as hell!
  2. Regular Member
    I'm not sure if Tricare Standard would cover any of the $3000. I think it depends on if Tricare is accepted by the OB and hospital you are delivering at. You might technically need a referral to that OB and hospital in order for Triacre to cover anything. Contact Tricare customer service, they should be able to answer your question with specifics.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emtuck90 View Post
    I'm not sure if Tricare Standard would cover any of the $3000. I think it depends on if Tricare is accepted by the OB and hospital you are delivering at. You might technically need a referral to that OB and hospital in order for Triacre to cover anything. Contact Tricare customer service, they should be able to answer your question with specifics.
    Yeah I am going to try and call them tomorrow to see if I can talk to someone about it. This whole insurance thing is such a headache to figure out. I have heard with Prime you need a referral but I thought Standard allows you to go anywhere off post?
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

In my experience, yes. I had tricare prime as secondary and they covered the balance of the birth that was left from my primary
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Yes, I believe they do. If they are in-network or a registered out-of-network the physician and hospital should bill both your insurances. If it is out-of-network provider that isn't registered I believe you will have to submit the bill yourself for reimbursement. When I called to switch from prime to standard they were super helpful about coverage. They've been uber on the ball with billing too.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Tricare Standard as secondary insurance?

I have a private OB and plan to deliver at a non-military hospital. I have private insurance (United Healthcare) through my job and it looks like having a baby is going to end up costing close to $3,000 out of pocket when all is said and done. Does anyone know if Tricare Standard will cover any of that $3,000? Any experience with what it will and will not cover and any special hoops I need to jump through?

You would think that I would know something about health insurance but all of this stuff is confusing as hell!
    Ummmm, did I miss a post?
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    we are going to start trying in September. So in like 2 months!!!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Thats what I was thinking!
  9. Banned
    Banned
    for standard you do not need a referral you can use either in-network or out of network- without issue. depending on which will depend on what they will cover-

call Tricare to compare what it will cost as secondary and what it would cost as primary- you may find out that Tricare is the better/cheaper way to go.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    we are going to start trying in September. So in like 2 months!!!
    Ok. I even looked through your posts and was....she is talking having a baby but (while I didn't search in depth) I found no other posts. I was lost.

I would say good luck but not sure what is the proper etiquette for wishing good luck to the baby making process.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast