Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DH is an e3 in tech school, I'm in NC-not sure if we are getting underpaid?

1. Regular Member

DH is an e3 in tech school, I'm in NC-not sure if we are getting underpaid?

Advertisements
    My husband is Air Force, he's in tech school in texas right now. He is an E3. For whatever weird reason, he's been there almost 2 months, and he still can't view his paystub online. His pay hasn't changed at all since he was in BMT, and I'm wondering a few things...first, he was told at BMT by his MTIs that everyone gets E1 pay during basic, but if they went in under an e3 contract that they would get back pay upon for the difference of e1-e3 pay after graduating.

It seems like we are still getting e1 pay, but maybe i'm wrong and don't understand how much taxes take out.

Also, I know texas doesn't have a state income tax, but NC does...does his pay get taxed according to texas, or NC?

He's been trying to talk to financial about all this but I'm trying to get an idea while I wait on him to talk to them, he tends to be really bad about putting these things off, especially being so busy at tech.

So is there anyone who knows what an e3's pay would be approximately after taxes in north carolina? Before BAH and separation allowance? And if there would be back pay if we are getting underpaid, or back pay for the time in BMT? Or did he mishear and BMT pay is really just all e1 pay?

Wow, that was really confusing. Haha. Sorry! Thanks for your time!
  2. Regular Member
    He'd be taxed for his home of record, which I assume is NC. E3 pay is $1805 before taxes. I used Married with 1 deduction for withholdings and got $1521.75 for the month so approximately $760 per check. I have no idea about backpay.
  3. Incubating...
    Incubating...
    I know when ex-DH was in basic he went as an e3 and received that pay right away. Granted this was 2009 so maybe something has changed but as far as I know his pay should have been the full amount from the start.

He should really get to the finance office and find out what's going on and get a copy of his LES if he isn't able to get somewhere to print it. He just needs to tell his command there that he needs to go and they will send him with his battle buddy when they have a little time.
  4. Regular Member
    Man. Taxes stink. Haha. There still seems to be a bit missing , guess he will go to financial soon but that does clarify it a lot! Thanks!

Does he continue to get taxed for his home of record after PCSing? We are going overseas, so no clue how it will work there.
  5. Senior Member
    Edited my post away since I messed up and mixed up my info. I can say if you want to keep residency to NC he should check to see if they waive state tax for active duty service members stationed outside the state.
    Last edited by Southern-queen; 07-10-2014 at 03:58 PM.
  6. Senior Member
    If you are OCONUS, you likely won't have to pay any state income tax (unless you have any income derived in the US, like rent from a rental property in a certain state), so it won't really matter. For us, CA continued to take out taxes for a while, until we noticed the error. DH fixed it, but we had to wait until we filed out taxes to get the money back for the months it was taken out.

And no, he will not always be taxed at his HOR. He will be taxed at his state of residency, which is not at all the same as his HOR. He would be smart to establish residency in a tax-friendly state. This will be where he votes and has a drivers license. If he has time, he should get those things in Texas. Technically, your residency state is supposed to be a bit more than that, but for all intents and purposes, that's it. You have to have lived there are some time (but he lives there now, so that's fine).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    If you are OCONUS, you likely won't have to pay any state income tax (unless you have any income derived in the US, like rent from a rental property in a certain state), so it won't really matter. For us, CA continued to take out taxes for a while, until we noticed the error. DH fixed it, but we had to wait until we filed out taxes to get the money back for the months it was taken out.

And no, he will not always be taxed at his HOR. He will be taxed at his state of residency, which is not at all the same as his HOR. He would be smart to establish residency in a tax-friendly state. This will be where he votes and has a drivers license. If he has time, he should get those things in Texas. Technically, your residency state is supposed to be a bit more than that, but for all intents and purposes, that's it. You have to have lived there are some time (but he lives there now, so that's fine).
    This. You have 3 "homes"
    Home of Record - almost never changes
    Home of Residence - taxes, can change as often as you want as long as there is a local address you can use (I use my moms)
    Where you actually live.

8. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

When I was in basic, we were told we were all E-1's as well. This is so some people don't think they are in charge or better than others. Their acutal rank is whatever the contract said. If you DH's contract says he enlisted as an E-3, he should be getting that pay from day one. One thing to also consider, he has to pay for his uniforms. In the Navy, they usually deduct this from the first 2 or 3 paychecks, while in boot camp. I know some of the people in my division, didn't get it deducted until AFTER graduation. I don't know how this works for the Air Force, so it's just something to think about until he can veiw his LES.

While in tech, unless he establishes residency in TX, he will get taxed from NC.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    if by a 'bit off' is only like $100-$200 i would guess its taxes.
    The example given was for a deduction of 1, a deduction of 0 (which is pretty common deduction) will garner larger tax withholding.

I generally figure about 25% for taxes. So, if his pay is $1803 his net pay less 25% would be roughly $1350, or $675 per pay check, for just base pay.
    BAH and FSA are not taxable. BAH is based on NC and FSA is $150.

if it is off by more than a few hundred dollars, I would guess its either BAH or FSA that hasn't kicked in or been changed.

Also, there should be no reason why he cannot see his LES. He needs to tell his instructor so they can help him. They will give him time in between classes to go to finance. LES is available 10 days prior to pay day. It could just be a simple log in issue.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  10. Senior Member
    If he is being paid E1 but has always been E3, they should backpay. The same thing happened to DH. He harassed finance and his instructor for months and months and 5 months after he was supposed to be getting E3 pay, he finally got it and they DID back pay.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast