Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sooo how much am I looking to pay?

1. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.

Sooo how much am I looking to pay?

Advertisements
    I got dental through my work on top of having tricare cause it's super cheap and cause the HR lady at my work told me they would cover the percent that tricare didn't and because I need an implant.

They (Cigna) cover the exact same percent as tricare so does anyone one know how this works? Does anyone have two forms of dental insurance?

Will tricare cover 1600$ and Cigna cover 1600$ And I pay the rest orrr?

HALP.

2. Regular Member
    I don't know about having 2 insurances but I believe Tricare will only pay $1300 total per year.
  3. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseSplat View Post
    I don't know about having 2 insurances but I believe Tricare will only pay $1300 total per year.
    I think MetLife is 1600$ no? I could be completely wrong but I thought that's what my dentist told me last time.

4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I am not sure about dental, but when I needed surgery, and I had insurance through the county, Tricare would not cover anything, because my county insurance was considered my primary insurance, and tricare said they would not cover the excess.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterQueen View Post
    I think MetLife is 1600$ no? I could be completely wrong but I thought that's what my dentist told me last time.
    Google says $1,300. National Military Family Association: TRICARE Dental Program Announces 2014 Premiums
  6. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Most dental insurances use something called "coordination of benifits". The dental you have through your work will be considered your primary plan and metlife will be the secondary. Let's say you need a crown. The dentist say the crown is $900 and cigna covers 50%. Making your co-pay $450. If metlife covers 50% or less for a crown, they will not pay anything. If metlife pays 60% (but I'm pretty sure they will only pay 50% for a crown) they will only pay 10% of what's left over. So if your copay is $450 AFTER cigna, met life will pay $45. So in essence secondary dental just pays the difference. That's how it's been explained to me and why a second dental insurance is basically useless.
  7. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    Most dental insurances use something called "coordination of benifits". The dental you have through your work will be considered your primary plan and metlife will be the secondary. Let's say you need a crown. The dentist say the crown is $900 and cigna covers 50%. Making your co-pay $450. If metlife covers 50% or less for a crown, they will not pay anything. If metlife pays 60% (but I'm pretty sure they will only pay 50% for a crown) they will only pay 10% of what's left over. So if your copay is $450 AFTER cigna, met life will pay $45. So in essence secondary dental just pays the difference. That's how it's been explained to me and why a second dental insurance is basically useless.
    It's kinda better than nothing... I mean I only pay 7$ a month for it

8. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterQueen View Post
    It's kinda better than nothing... I mean I only pay 7$ a month for it
    But you might be getting nothing. Chances are cigna only pays 50% for your implant. I can't imagine metlife paying more than that either. If that's the case. You're throwing $7 away. Not that it's a huge amount of money but it's not doing you any good if that is the case.
  9. Senior Member
    I have Cigna through my work also. My dentist said my fillings would be nothing out of pocket, when I only had tricare it was around $20.

The real answer is: it depends whether your dentist is an in network dentist or out-of-network dentist to one or both insurances and what the allowable cost of the procedure is.

Read the Supplemental TDP Booklet: page 3 and TDP Booklet Page 51