Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VA Caretaker Benefits

1. Incubating...
    Incubating...

VA Caretaker Benefits

Advertisements
    Hi everyone. It has been a very very long time since I posted here, but I have an important question so I figured this might be a great place to ask. DH is medically retired and currently receiving VA Disability compensation at 70%. He suffers from a series of conditions but the most difficult being his narcolepsy and severe sleep apnea. I wind up spending anywhere between 1-4 hours a day of my life just waking him up (depending on how many times he falls back to sleep.) He is now working but works overnights because he simply cannot wake up in the morning and lost job after job for a year because of being late.

We have 2 young kids at home. The cost of childcare is way too expensive for me to work outside the home right now. I want to go to school but it simply isn't in the budget for us and yes I could qualify for grants, but the real problem is in who will watch the kids. I did start a part time job back in April but had to quit after only a few weeks. We tried having him watch them while I went to work for 3 hours a day and I kept coming home to find my 4 and 1 yr olds unsupervised because he was asleep. He is physically incapable of caring for them on his own for longer than a quick trip to the gas station and even then he has been known to fall back to sleep. He never wakes up on his own. One night I tried just letting him sleep and he slept from the time he got home at 8:30 am until 9 PM when it was time for him to leave for work and I HAD to wake him up. He still wound up being late because it took over an hour to get him physically up and out of bed.

These are fully diagnosed conditions and he is on medication and does have a cpap machine but this does effect his daily functioning. I have to constantly remind him to refill prescriptions, take his medications, and I have been trying to get him to file something for over a year and be still hasn't.

I'm just wondering if anyone else receives these benefits and what I should expect. When he's awake and moving he appears to be a fully functional person with no major issues, it's getting his brain from sleeping to waking that is the problem.

It almost all seems silly to apply, I know there are people that need much more care than him. But we could really use the extra income and like I said I tried getting a job but couldn't keep it because I have to be here for the kids always. Any words of wisdom here?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Don't compare your troubles to theirs. If you apply and you are approved, obviously someone else agrees with you that he needs that level of care and you deserve the compensation.
    I have no experience with it, but you really should apply for it.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    The only thing I have read is I believe he has to have a VA rating of 100% disibility I believe. Good luck! It sounds like you could use the added assistance.
  4. Senior Member
    DH is in the same boat. He gets 70% disability, has severe sleep apnea but also has another condition that causes him to pass out. I don't have any advice on the caretaker benefits but you should apply! I thought about doing it only bc DH isn't allowed to drive due to the fear that he will pass out behind the wheel.
    I only know of one person who is a caregiver for her husband and gets financial assistance from it but her husband is 100% disabled, they don't have any kids but she also took it to court and got lawyers involved.
    The worst thing they can tell us is no though. Good luck.
  5. Incubating...
    Incubating...
    Well that I know isn't true. They just have to be deemed to be unable to perform some form of daily life functions normally and require assistance for it due to injuries and conditions that were caused by or aggravated by service post 9/11. Rating percentage requirements are not listed in any requirements. Now whether or not they often approve those below 100% I don't know, but I know it's not a requirement for the program.
  6. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Don't compare your troubles to theirs. If you apply and you are approved, obviously someone else agrees with you that he needs that level of care and you deserve the compensation.
    I have no experience with it, but you really should apply for it.
    ditto...good luck.
  7. Senior Member
    Like Asher said, go ahead and apply. You've haven't really lost anything if you are denied.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Never hurts to apply.

However, are you asking for assistance for child care? or assistance for someone to be at your home to watch your children?
    I'm confused as to what it is exactly you are looking for.

When you apply for financial aid and grants, many times they will give enough $$ to be able to put children in daycare for the time needed to attend classes.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Never hurts to apply.

However, are you asking for assistance for child care? or assistance for someone to be at your home to watch your children?
    I'm confused as to what it is exactly you are looking for.

When you apply for financial aid and grants, many times they will give enough $$ to be able to put children in daycare for the time needed to attend classes.
    I'm not very familar with VA stuff but from what I took from the OP is she is looking for monatary help since she is the caregiver. Basically, she is looking for compensation for taking care of him since she can not work. I could be COMPLETELY wrong but that is what I gathered....

OP, my advice without actually knowing anything about VA CAretaker Benefits is, if there is a program available to help you APPLY!!!! It's so sad to see amazing programs underutalized. You will only be accepted if the VA deems it neccassary. Believe me, the VA doesn't just give away anything.
  10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    I'm not very familar with VA stuff but from what I took from the OP is she is looking for monatary help since she is the caregiver. Basically, she is looking for compensation for taking care of him since she can not work. I could be COMPLETELY wrong but that is what I gathered....

OP, my advice without actually knowing anything about VA CAretaker Benefits is, if there is a program available to help you APPLY!!!! It's so sad to see amazing programs underutalized. You will only be accepted if the VA deems it neccassary. Believe me, the VA doesn't just give away anything.
    Hmmm.. I don't see how she is taking care of him. She said he is fully functional when he is awake, its getting him awake that is the issue.
    It sounds more like she wants someone to pay for her kids' daycare so she can work and/or go to school because he can't watch them. Based on what she posted it sounds like he doesn't need the care, but rather she wants $$ to put her kids in daycare so she can go to school.

I know very little about the benefit, from what i gather it is there if the patient needs care, to give the caregiver a break. As mentioned, he doesn't need care, he can fend for himself, once awake.
    But I could be wrong.

I do agree, if you can apply then apply. Worse case is they say no.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast