Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DLA twice in the same year?

1. Senior Member

DLA twice in the same year?

Advertisements
    I researched this and found something in the JFTR, but now I can't find the page that applies.

I know there are restrictions about getting DLA twice in the same year, but there was something about "training" as an exemption that seemed like it would apply in our situation. (He'll be going to a training command for ~7 months.) Also, it is calendar year or fiscal year or 365 day period. We'll be in different calendar and fiscal years, I think, but less than 365 days. Finally, if there is some TDY en route, what date would be used for the first DLA--the date he checks out of the losing command, or the date he checks in to the new command.

No matter how the details end up falling out for this move, it is going to be expensive for us because of all the things associated with short term living (getting cars, short term leases, etc.). So I'm hoping he will get the DLA for both PCSes--from Germany to the US and from the US to Japan.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 07:39 AM.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    the JFTR says "fiscal" year which runs OCT 1- sept 30th.

however your issue will be on how the orders are written, if you get separate orders to PCS to the TDY location and then another set of orders to PCS to Japan you will get 2 DLA payments.

if you have one set of orders telling him to TDY and PCS you will only get 1 DLA payment because the entire move is encompassed under 1 set of orders

JFTR chapter 5 section j U5582-U5596
    I'm not sure I'm following. It's looking like we will do two PCSes--one from Germany to California, and then another from CA to Japan. There will be some TDY, though we aren't sure if it will be en route from Germany (and before California), or if he will check in in CA and then TDY from there. But either way, we'd do 2 PCSes, it's just that there will be either TDY en route in addition to the PCSes, or TDY from the CA command.

So are you saying that since we will have two sets of PCS orders (to CA, and to Japan) we will get Two DLAs, no matter the fiscal year or anything else? Or that we will still only get one DLA if it's within the sam fiscal year? If its that latter, woudl the DLA be dated for the day he check out of the old command, or into the new one? It could be a difference of 2 months or more, given leave and then the TDY en route (of that's how it ends up being done). We'll likely leave Germany in FY 2015, but not check into CA until FY 2016, and the PCS to Japan will be in FY16 as well. But there was something in the JFTR about training that made me thing the limit on 1 per year didn't matter.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We got two full DLA's within eleven months. Both were PCS's, but they were different fiscal years. One was in 2012 and the other 2013. I don't know if it helps, I just wanted to share our recent experience.
  5. Banned
    Banned
  6. Junior Member
    We also got 2 DLAs within 9 months of each other - different fiscal years too though and same as Lynn - one was in 2012 (July) and the other in 2013 (March).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

7. Senior Member
    again it will depend on how the orders are written- technically yes your doing 2 PCSes- but the orders may not be issued that way.
    Most PCS TDY orders are done in all one set of orders.

Also whether he is entitled to DLA when he checks out of the command in Germany will depend again on how the orders are written and what your branch allows.
    TDY enroute PCSes are a mess and can be so complicated.

Unfortunately you may not be able to get the answers until you find out how the orders will be issued.
    What I am saying is that it will be written as 2 PCS. Not "technically", but actually 2 PCSes orders. That could change, but right now, that's what we are being told. We have friends who did the exact same track a year ago (Netherlands to US for the sam training as DH, then to Japan), and the got two full PCSes--with PCS orders and HHG moves and the whole shebang. But there's were clearly in different FYs. Ours may not be, depending on when they start the clock (leaving Germany vs checking in in CA).
  8. Banned
    Banned
  9. Senior Member
    the fiscal year thing won't really matter is what I am saying. if you have orders to PCS you will get the DLA twice in the same fiscal year.
    This response it completely contrary to what the JFTR says, so I am pretty sure your statement is not accurate.

It clearly specifies that in most cases, you can't gt DLA twice in the same fiscal year (even with two PCSes) per the bolded , but then lists exceptions. I am hoping this is an exception, based on the underlined bolded, but I am not sure what it means. He will be at a training command (this will be the gaining command for first PCS), and also attending several schools around the country.

JFTR, par. U5620.
    A. General. Under 37 USC 407, a member is authorized only one DLA during a fiscal year, unless the:
    Secretary concerned determines Service exigencies require more than one PCS during the current fiscal year. With the exceptions noted below for USCG and NOAA, the authority to make this determination may be delegated no lower than general/flag officer level in the Army, Navy, Air Force, O-6 in the Marine Corps, at the headquarters level that directs assignments for the Service concerned. Based on SECDEF memo “Waiver Authority for Dislocation Allowance Entitlements” of 5 June 1995, this authority for humanitarian or Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) assignments may be delegated to O-6 level at the headquarters that direct humanitarian or EFMP assignments for the Service concerned. NOTE: For the Coast Guard: delegation is to the Commander, Coast Guard Personnel Service Center (CGPSC) with no further re- delegation authorized; for the NOAA Corps: delegation is to the Director of the NOAA Corps only.
    2. Member is on PCS to, from, or between courses conducted, controlled and managed by one or more of the Services;
    3. Eligible dependents are relocated to a designated place incident to an evacuation (pars. U6012 and U6059); 4. Movement of a member's household is made ICW a national emergency or in time of war;
    5. Movement of a member and/or a dependent(s) is made as envisioned by par. U5630-B6, U5630-B8 or U5630-B10;
    6. Movement of member’s and or dependent’s household is made ICW base realignment or closure (BRAC); or
    7. Member’s dependents relocate incident to the member being assigned to ITDY (par. U4605).
  10. Banned
    Banned
    I
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast