Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dependent Travel Pay

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Dependent Travel Pay

Advertisements
    So I have another thread about DLA and this kind of ties into it...

I PCS'd without my dependents largely in part because my wife was in Nursing School and we didnt want to interrupt that since she was getting close to the end. My wife ended up finishing the program ahead of schedule and will be graduating at the end of the month. Fortunately I will be able to take leave to go home and see her get pinned.

In our phone conversations lately we have been talking about her and the kids coming back with me to California, at least for short term. My wife kind of wants to get a sense of what San Diego is all about to decide whether or not she wants to move here on a permanent basis. I am getting ready to go to sea for an extended amount of time so for me its all on what she wants to do.

With the understanding that I have received my travel pay already, I am wondering if there is anything illegal (for lack of a better term) with my wife and kids getting travel pay (per diem, malts) to come out to California even if it only ends up being for a couple of weeks? My family is authorized and funded to travel out here, I am just not sure if there would be a problem if they did not stay out here in California. This is with the understanding that if she decided to go back to old PDS it would be on our dime.

Honestly I am just stoked about having my family out here for a couple weeks to have some quality time together before I leave for a long long time, it really doesnt matter if she wants to stay out here or not, Im not going to be here anyway. But if there is nothing wrong with receiving the travel pay for a possible short stay, I would rather do it on the Navy's dime since it is already funded.

Thanks for any advice/references you may have!
  2. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Forgot to mention that I did my due diligence and looked through the JFTR but I did not see anything specifically applying to my question.
  3. Senior Member
    I had the exact same situation with my husband (nursing school and all) and they did not pay for me to move after he had previously PCSd with our belongings.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  4. Senior Member
    I am thinking she would only get travel pay if she moved there. Not to visit

Sounds like you guys faced a decision I faced last year. Ultimately we decided to stay where we were. DH is nearing the end of his career and it's important to us to be financially sound and being able to rely on my career when he retires.

But I'm driving distance away by about 8-9 hours, so on the weekends he drives home when he isn't deployed and once a month or so the kids and I get away and visit him. I go to the khaki ball with him and he goes to my company Christmas parties, he just makes use of his leave time. He even took leave to see our youngest off for kindergarten last year.

My take was, I was going to be alone anyway with him being on sea duty... Might as well stay where we are and not job jump. Kids are also stable in school, etc, that they are really thriving here. Cost of living is cheaper here too and DH lives on the ship so we can have a generous travel budget every month

We like space... So San Diego was not for us. But visiting on long weekends is fine. DH gets back from deployment in a couple months and then we will only have a year and seven months left of geo Bach. The time has gone by quickly so far because I've used the time to better myself, get an additional certification, and buying land so we can build a house and hopefully have it done by the time the geo bachelor tour is up.

But anyhow, I know that's not what you asked but figured I'd share my story since our experiences are pretty similar.

Believe me, a month after DH moved I did have a freak out moment and just wanted to up and be there... But we quickly adjusted and have a very strong relationship that although I wish he was here... We make it work
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I had the exact same situation with my husband (nursing school and all) and they did not pay for me to move after he had previously PCSd with our belongings.
    That is unfortunate because if your husband was still on the current PCS orders when you traveled to move out there with him, you were definitely entitled to travel pay!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buggystevenson View Post
    That is unfortunate because if your husband was still on the current PCS orders when you traveled to move out there with him, you were definitely entitled to travel pay!
    But is travel pay broken down into dependents or is it given as a 'family with dependents' regardless of whether or not the family decides to PCS?
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by CPANavyWife View Post
    I am thinking she would only get travel pay if she moved there. Not to visit

Sounds like you guys faced a decision I faced last year. Ultimately we decided to stay where we were. DH is nearing the end of his career and it's important to us to be financially sound and being able to rely on my career when he retires.

But I'm driving distance away by about 8-9 hours, so on the weekends he drives home when he isn't deployed and once a month or so the kids and I get away and visit him. I go to the khaki ball with him and he goes to my company Christmas parties, he just makes use of his leave time. He even took leave to see our youngest off for kindergarten last year.

My take was, I was going to be alone anyway with him being on sea duty... Might as well stay where we are and not job jump. Kids are also stable in school, etc, that they are really thriving here. Cost of living is cheaper here too and DH lives on the ship so we can have a generous travel budget every month

We like space... So San Diego was not for us. But visiting on long weekends is fine. DH gets back from deployment in a couple months and then we will only have a year and seven months left of geo Bach. The time has gone by quickly so far because I've used the time to better myself, get an additional certification, and buying land so we can build a house and hopefully have it done by the time the geo bachelor tour is up.

But anyhow, I know that's not what you asked but figured I'd share my story since our experiences are pretty similar.

Believe me, a month after DH moved I did have a freak out moment and just wanted to up and be there... But we quickly adjusted and have a very strong relationship that although I wish he was here... We make it work
    Good for you, you guys are making it work! I am on my last hitch also and very much looking forward to retirement so I can spend every day with my family! I dont think the chances of my wife actually moving out here are very high, I think she is just more curious to see what it would be like to live out here. We are pretty use to being apart thanks to my career. We handle it well but will be glad when we dont have to live apart anymore.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    But is travel pay broken down into dependents or is it given as a 'family with dependents' regardless of whether or not the family decides to PCS?
    It is broken down to each member of the family that travels to the new PDS. For example since your husband went before you, he got 100% of his per diem rate. If you would have gone with him at the same time you would have received 75% of his per diem rate. But, since you traveled at a separate time you are entitled to 100% of his per diem rate as well. If you have children that traveled with you, they are entitled to either 75% or 50% of his per diem rate depending on their age.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buggystevenson View Post
    Good for you, you guys are making it work! I am on my last hitch also and very much looking forward to retirement so I can spend every day with my family! I dont think the chances of my wife actually moving out here are very high, I think she is just more curious to see what it would be like to live out here. We are pretty use to being apart thanks to my career. We handle it well but will be glad when we dont have to live apart anymore.
    We did the same, looked at housing in the area too & seriously looked at everything. At the end, we knew we were doing what was best for us but the hardest part for me was that I'm in a civilian area. Most people do not understand the whole idea of geo bacheloring. I had one guy at work a month or so look at the picture I have of my family on my wall and he said "Is your husband ever coming home?" OMG! I practically ripped him a new one cause what kind of position is he in to be questioning me and my marriage? (but I will be honest, I am a little sensitive to it too)

But anyhow that was the toughest part for me once we adjusted, dealing with the people who either don't understand & think something must be wrong with my marriage for us to do this OR people who give me sympathy. Which annoys me.

Biggest throwback DH ever gets is from PSD saying "Well you chose not to bring your family" cause they even gave him LESS travel pay for himself than if he moved with us. Which I don't understand... He drove down with his car, they gave him a few hundred and then took half of it back a month later saying he gets a lesser travel pay since we didn't move with him. They gave him $382 and took back $180... Oh well, they do all sorts of weird stuff apparently when you don't bring your family. They didn't even authorize for him to have lodging and threatened to charge him for staying in the barracks while he waited to check in to the ship & he was attending training in between stations

That didn't end up happening but it was stressful at the time
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by CPANavyWife View Post
    We did the same, looked at housing in the area too & seriously looked at everything. At the end, we knew we were doing what was best for us but the hardest part for me was that I'm in a civilian area. Most people do not understand the whole idea of geo bacheloring. I had one guy at work a month or so look at the picture I have of my family on my wall and he said "Is your husband ever coming home?" OMG! I practically ripped him a new one cause what kind of position is he in to be questioning me and my marriage? (but I will be honest, I am a little sensitive to it too)

But anyhow that was the toughest part for me once we adjusted, dealing with the people who either don't understand & think something must be wrong with my marriage for us to do this OR people who give me sympathy. Which annoys me.

Biggest throwback DH ever gets is from PSD saying "Well you chose not to bring your family" cause they even gave him LESS travel pay for himself than if he moved with us. Which I don't understand... He drove down with his car, they gave him a few hundred and then took half of it back a month later saying he gets a lesser travel pay since we didn't move with him. They gave him $382 and took back $180... Oh well, they do all sorts of weird stuff apparently when you don't bring your family. They didn't even authorize for him to have lodging and threatened to charge him for staying in the barracks while he waited to check in to the ship & he was attending training in between stations

That didn't end up happening but it was stressful at the time
    I guess fortunate for my wife she lives in an area with a lot of retired military so there is definitely understanding and support for her. As far as your husbands pay, one thing I have learned over 19 years is every PSD or Pay Dept is different, there seems to be a lack of consistency throughout. Question everything, and make them show you in writing. Which obviously doesnt always work at first either based on the DLA battle I am going through even though I am the one that showed them in writing where they were wrong.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast