Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DLA Question

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

DLA Question

Advertisements
    Glad I found this forum! I am in a similiar situation: PCS'd to a ship, dependents were authorized to travel but in my particular situation it was better to leave my family where they were at. I shipped out a couple boxes through the Navy warehouse to my new residence I had already set up in San Diego.

I drove to San Diego straight to my new residence out in town (rented a room at a house) and check in on the ship a few days later. My detaching PSD said I was authorized Single DLA and I received that as part of my advance travel pay. After checking onboard the ship and doing my travel claim the ship's pay department said that I was not authorized DLA at the single rate due to the fact that I have a rack onboard the ship. The DLA that I received was subsequently taken out of paycheck.

My arguement is that per the JFTR I am considered without dependents. And under Part G, Section 2, para 11 I feel that I am authorized DLA at the single rate. The ship does not concur with my interpretation however.

I am now in the process of filling out a waiver to get the money back and wanted to know if anyone had an concrete evidence to support my case

Many thanks!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 08:01 AM.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 08:00 AM.
  4. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Moved posts to own thread. Please do not bump old threads.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    U5592 DETERMINING AMOUNT PAYABLE
    A. General. DLA:
    1. Rates are in Table U5G-1 (and Table U5G-2 for secondary DLA IAW par. U5586-K only).
    2. Is based on the member being with or without dependents (par. U5584) on the PCS order effective date or
    the order directing the member to move ICW a military installation closure or realignment.
    B. Dependent Authorized to Relocate ICW PCS but Delays Travel
    1. When a dependent is authorized to travel but does not move with the member, DLA at the withoutdependent
    rate may be paid, provided the member is not assigned GOV’T QTRS at the new PDS.
    2. If the dependent later joins the member and is authorized dependent travel at GOV’T expense, the member
    may be paid the difference between DLA at the with-dependent rate and the without-dependent rate
    Isn't a rack on the ship considered government quarters? It's a place to live on the ship.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Isn't a rack on the ship considered government quarters? It's a place to live on the ship.
    it is.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Didnt mean to bump my own thread, apologies
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I agree that if I opted to stay on the ship in my rack that government quarters were provided and I would have not been entitled to DLA. However, since I am eligible for BAH and authorized to live out in town I have the choice of whether or not I want to live in government quarters I feel that I am entitled to the DLA. This is listed in the JFTR under the DLA portion, U5630 ELIGIBILITY FACTORS
  9. Banned
    Banned
    if.
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 08:00 AM.
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    this is a very old post- and you should have started a new post- however- the PSD is incorrect- because as long as you are not residing on the boat you are entitled to the Single rate DLA.

tell PSD to look it up in the JFTR chapter 5.
    Thanks for starting the new thread for me. I am glad you agree and I pointed my Pay department to that section of the JFTR, but they insist that it doesnt apply to me.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast