Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Montgomery vs Post-911 GI Bill

1. Senior Member

Montgomery vs Post-911 GI Bill

Advertisements
    DH will need to make a decision to switch to the Post-9/11 bill if he decides to attend college after separation. He went to do this yesterday and they gave him the VA website and told him to read about both programs and then come back today to finalize the forms because if he switches it is a permanent decision.

My question is this: Why in the world would someone not switch to the Post 9/11 bill? I've been to the website and just can't see the benefit of staying with the typical Montgomery.

Here is the link to the website that compares them if anyone is interested:
    Comparison Tool/Payment Rates - Education and Training

I want to make sure we're not missing an important benefit of the Montgomery bill before he switches. Thank you in advance!
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Interesting..
    DH was told he wasn't allowed to switch his.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I asked DH this once and he said the only reason he could see was the 600 buy-up program that the Montgomery offers. If you put in the $600 and then switch, you lose that money.

ETA: Plus I think they pull $100 a month for 12 months out of the paychecks so you also lose that $1200.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Interesting..
    He was told he wasn't eligible? He's still AD right? I would have him check again....
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    He was told he wasn't eligible? He's still AD right? I would have him check again....
    No, he's not active duty anymore. He asked, and asked, and asked.. every time they told him switching would require more time on active duty. He wasn't even switching to turn it over to kids.. only for himself.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

It depends on when time was served. I switched to post 9/11 from MGI and didn't find out until AFTER that I only get 70% of benefits because I was in for 9/11 but got out just shy of 2 years later. I was pissed when I found that out.

Trish when did your husband get out? Because as long as he served for x amount of time after 9/11 he is entitled to switch.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Interesting..
    Who told him that? As long as he qualifies he can choose which one to utilize. Once you begin using one or the other, you cannot switch back, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    I asked DH this once and he said the only reason he could see was the 600 buy-up program that the Montgomery offers. If you put in the $600 and then switch, you lose that money.

ETA: Plus I think they pull $100 a month for 12 months out of the paychecks so you also lose that $1200.
    They do pull the $1200 over the first year. DH def didn't do the $600 buy up so that isn't a worry for us.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveLilToaster View Post
    It depends on when time was served. I switched to post 9/11 from MGI and didn't find out until AFTER that I only get 70% of benefits because I was in for 9/11 but got out just shy of 2 years later. I was pissed when I found that out.

Trish when did your husband get out? Because as long as he served for x amount of time after 9/11 he is entitled to switch.
    It's 36 months I believe.

9. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Sometimes the benefit of the Montgomery can be better.

For example, a soldier is going to school in Texas and qualifies for free tuition under the Hazlewood Act. And let's say that the soldier lives in the middle of nowhere and the monthly BAH is $550. If they have the Post 9/11 then they just get BAH and books. So with the Post 9/11 the soldier gets paid out $1550. But with the Montgomery the soldier gets paid out $1648. Montgomery is the better deal. But I mean, find somewhere with BAH that's $550

It can also be a better deal for soldiers that haven't been in the military for long, but there's a short timespan that that's true. There's some stupid math that goes in to figuring that out which my boss knows wayyy better than me.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Penni View Post
    Sometimes the benefit of the Montgomery can be better.

For example, a soldier is going to school in Texas and qualifies for free tuition under the Hazlewood Act. And let's say that the soldier lives in the middle of nowhere and the monthly BAH is $550. If they have the Post 9/11 then they just get BAH and books. So with the Post 9/11 the soldier gets paid out $1550. But with the Montgomery the soldier gets paid out $1648. Montgomery is the better deal. But I mean, find somewhere with BAH that's $550

It can also be a better deal for soldiers that haven't been in the military for long, but there's a short timespan that that's true. There's some stupid math that goes in to figuring that out which my boss knows wayyy better than me.
    Thank you!

So it does seem that for the majority of people the Post-9/11 offers better benefits minus the exceptions you posted.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast