Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricare and Voluntary Separation

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"

Tricare and Voluntary Separation

Advertisements
    I was trying to find a thread but couldn't find one..

Can someone find the regs or give me info on whether or not a member and their family get Tricare if they voluntarily separate?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. Senior Member
    There is a continued health care benefit program for up to 18 months or 36 months depending on your status that can be purchased as a transition to the civilian world. Here's the link that states qualifying situations: Special Programs - Continued Health Care Benefit Program
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Banned
    Banned
    [
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 08:03 AM.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Thanks.

I have some that say they were promised (by AFPC and commander) that Tricare (for free) would be in effect for 180 days after separation date. When I tried telling them it was false that it ended day of unless they purchased COBRA they refused to believe me and got made that AFPC led them wrong.

So, I sent them the link given and it kind of shut them up. They are under the impression that had they waited and been involuntarily separated they would have free Tricare for 180 days.... said they were promised it would be the same if they voluntarily separated.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 08:01 AM.
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Thanks.

I have some that say they were promised (by AFPC and commander) that Tricare (for free) would be in effect for 180 days after separation date. When I tried telling them it was false that it ended day of unless they purchased COBRA they refused to believe me and got made that AFPC led them wrong.

So, I sent them the link given and it kind of shut them up. They are under the impression that had they waited and been involuntarily separated they would have free Tricare for 180 days.... said they were promised it would be the same if they voluntarily separated.
    From what I can see, some voluntary sep is eligible for TAMP (which was super nice to have when DH got out)

Voluntary Separation Benefits

If you voluntarily separate under the Special Separation Benefit (SSB) or the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) options, you are entitled to all of the benefits provided for involuntarily separated members.
    Separating from Active Duty
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    They are saying Tricare (I believe its Tricare) won't allow them to get coverage of any kind. Does that mean they don't qualify for TAMP or CHCBP?

8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    They are saying Tricare (I believe its Tricare) won't allow them to get coverage of any kind. Does that mean they don't qualify for TAMP or CHCBP?
    I could be wrong in saying this, but I think everyone qualifies for CHCBP as long as they are released from active duty. I'm not even sure if it has to be an honorable discharge. They would just have to pay for it on their own.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  9. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    We separated back in March and it ended the day he separated. I would entirely discourage you from Tricare CHCBP. We have had it for 3 months as the nsurance until my jobs kicked in, and it is a NIGHTMARE. No one in the real world ets tricare, let alone this insurance which is done through tricare but actually done through humana. My pharmacist has been unable to contact them so I had to pay OOP for medications because we cannot get a human on the phone (for the drug part at least, on the phone for the medical side they have been SUPER sweet and helpful). Its just a huge chore to deal with them, so I recommend not using them unless its only for a month and you dont see doctors in that time. I've gotten so irritated that I simply have stopped seeing my physical therapist until my insurance kicks in next week.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast