Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The BAH Question

1. Senior Member

The BAH Question

Advertisements
    I know it has been asked a million times before, but not quite in this context that I can find...

DB is under the impression that if we marry before he deploys that he will receive BAH "for me" during deployment. Even if he is geobach before he deploys.

I personally think that is wishful thinking. Anybody know the rules? The official websites were not very informative.
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Someone else probably knows the actual regulation but I do believe once you're married he'll get married BAH regardless of where you reside. For us it's about $200 extra per month than if he were single/no dependents.

Sometimes paper work gets messed up and actually receiving it might take some time (especially if you were to marry immediately before a deployment and he doesn't have time to sort it out with finance) but if that happens, you get back paid eventually from the date of marriage (I think! It's been a while and I have a bad memory )
  3. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by littlemissred View Post
    I know it has been asked a million times before, but not quite in this context that I can find...

DB is under the impression that if we marry before he deploys that he will receive BAH "for me" during deployment. Even if he is geobach before he deploys.

I personally think that is wishful thinking. Anybody know the rules? The official websites were not very informative.
    Yes, if he's married, he gets BAH with dependents, regardless of whether you live in the same house. And you will continue to receive it while he is deployed. It's for the household, not just the SM.

DH and I did the geobachelor thing right after we got married. We got separation pay too.
  4. Senior Member
    Wow! I'm surprised!!

So for before he deploys and we are married, will he receive additional BAH if I live in another state? He had said before that if he is a geobachelor that he will not receive BAH (he lives in the barracks). They've already given him BAH on accident and then subtracted it from future pay. I may never understand.
  5. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by littlemissred View Post
    Wow! I'm surprised!!

So for before he deploys and we are married, will he receive additional BAH if I live in another state? He had said before that if he is a geobachelor that he will not receive BAH (he lives in the barracks). They've already given him BAH on accident and then subtracted it from future pay. I may never understand.
    DH's went up $400. We split it in half when I lived in another state. He had a house off base. Sucked for him though, because he was getting $1000 for himself. Then we got married, and he got $1400 and then I took half, so he was down to $700. Running 2 households isn't economical, but we had to do it for a little bit. He's a SNCO and hasn't lived in the barracks since about the year 2000, so I'm unsure about someone who is currently living in the barracks and getting hitched but wants to stay in the barracks.

DH's friend moved into the barracks and had a wife and 2 kids head back to GA. They got BAH and separation pay, too. But he had to pay to live in the barracks. I don't think they can get free housing and BAH. That might depend on the base and space available though.
  6. Senior Member
    I know you were told that he will get dependent rate BAH and he will. But if he is geobaching and it is by choice (as in you choose to not move where he is) it will be for his location and not yours. Even if he is deployed it is for his assigned duty station (not deployment one though where he resides when not deployed). If he is in military quarters he may be required to move out.

When he lives in the dorms as a single person he is not entitled to BAH. It is for those who do not live in dorms. Of course if you live in military housing they take your BAH (as a family or even single military member in housing). That is why they took it back when they gave it as a mistake.
  7. Senior Member
    He will receive BAH at the with dependents rate, but may very well be required to either move out of the barracks or start paying for his room. They probably won't let him stay for free AND pay him BAH since that would be the military "paying" for his lodging twice.
  8. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

My best guess: If he lives in the dorms now, you can get married and he can officially move out of the dorms (to a storage unit or whatever) and will receive BAH at that point. If you get married but he keeps his dorm room, he will not get BAH at all until he stops using/living in the dorms.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    I know you were told that he will get dependent rate BAH and he will. But if he is geobaching and it is by choice (as in you choose to not move where he is) it will be for his location and not yours. Even if he is deployed it is for his assigned duty station (not deployment one though where he resides when not deployed). If he is in military quarters he may be required to move out.

When he lives in the dorms as a single person he is not entitled to BAH. It is for those who do not live in dorms. Of course if you live in military housing they take your BAH (as a family or even single military member in housing). That is why they took it back when they gave it as a mistake.
    I thought it was too good to be true!! We were planning on taking the plunge, me quitting my job and moving out there towards the end of the year but now that is all thrown off. I wish I could just up and move there for the few months until he deploys BUT I don't want to throw away a career that will probably keep me sane during deployment!
  10. Senior Member
    I would have him check with his command and see what the chances of him keeping his room until he deploys and than seeing if a friend will keep his stuff and than he will get BAH since he signed out of his room and than when deployment is over you can move to where he is. Yeah if you are thinking your job will be your sanity provider while he is gone I wouldn't give it up either.

Since he is going on deployment they might allow him to keep his room until he leaves or even until he comes back. It is worth checking into. Just know generally once married they have to move out of the barracks/dorm room (not sure if the army does individual rooms or how it works for them).
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast