Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Cross help.

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Red Cross help.

Advertisements
    I have been told by numerous people that the Red Cross helps military families when someone passes away or is ill and they help them fly home. I am currently and have been in Oregon since April 29th. My grandfather has held on this whole time and I fly home tomorrow. He is at the very end of his battle and is expected to honestly not make it through the weekend. I called Alaska Airlines last night about pushing my fight out and they said it would be $425 per ticket (Tristen is with me) to extend my flight for a week.

I want to know what exactly I need to do if he was to pass away this weekend to hopefully get back with the help of The Red Cross. Sorry if these are stupid questions. And If i'm not making since. I'm kind of jumbled up today.
  2. Senior Member
    I'm bumping this for others who may have more information, but I've always understood the Red Cross to help the service member get home. I've never heard of them helping families, but that would be wonderful if they do.

I am so sorry about your grandfather.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I'm bumping this for others who may have more information, but I've always understood the Red Cross to help the service member get home. I've never heard of them helping families, but that would be wonderful if they do.

I am so sorry about your grandfather.
    Thank you. I had a girlfriend at our last base whos mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and they flew her home.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Kaepernick View Post
    Thank you. I had a girlfriend at our last base whos mother was diagnosed with breast cancer and they flew her home.
    Oh that is wonderful! I really hope you're able to get the assistance through them.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. Senior Member

Unfortunately (as far as I know) the Red Cross only helps by relaying a message to the command. This is often a requirement for emergency leave to be authorized, however, they don't actually help with travel arrangements.
    Each branch has an organization that does offer more help in these situations. For the Navy and Marines, it's Navy Marine Corps Relief Society. I know the Air Force has a similar organization, but I'll have to google what it's called.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    Oh that is wonderful! I really hope you're able to get the assistance through them.
    Thanks love. I hope I can get this worked out and hopefully be able to come back. I dropped over $1200 on the flight here and was hoping 3 weeks would be long enough time but it's just a few days short I think.
  7. Member
    For the AF it's called the Air Force aid society. I would contact your afrc or first shirt/key spouse, I think they will be able to point you in the right direction!
  8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kwickham View Post
    For the AF it's called the Air Force aid society. I would contact your afrc or first shirt/key spouse, I think they will be able to point you in the right direction!
    Thanks

9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Where are you flying to?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  10. Senior Member
    They only pay for immediate family and if you're overseas (Alaska is actually included in that too). We dealt with this when DH's grandparents died in a house fire when he was deployed last year.

Definitely worth trying Air Force Aid.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast