Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: GI Bill tuition while not enrolled?

1. Senior Member

GI Bill tuition while not enrolled?

Advertisements
    I'm considering a Masters program but I'm not totally sure I'll be into the subject matter. The university allows someone to take up to three classes without actually enrolling. Would I still be able to use GI Bill for tuition if I am not an enrolled student. The university is accredited and this would be graduate level coursework, but I wouldn't be officially accepted into the program.

If this turns out to be something in which I have true interest, then after 2-3 classes I would apply and finish, but it would be nice to be able to try things out first.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Senior Member
    What are the benefits of not applying for the program now? The courses will still be on your transcripts regardless of enrolling as a student, right? Or are you taking the class without credit?

Sorry, this is of no help to you. I am just curious as to what the benefits of not enrolling in the program would be.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    What are the benefits of not applying for the program now? The courses will still be on your transcripts regardless of enrolling as a student, right? Or are you taking the class without credit?

Sorry, this is of no help to you. I am just curious as to what the benefits of not enrolling in the program would be.
    I don't have to go through the trouble of applying and I don't have to pay the application fee. I would get credit for the courses if I decided to continue the program by enrolling.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I don't have to go through the trouble of applying and I don't have to pay the application fee. I would get credit for the courses if I decided to continue the program by enrolling.
    That makes sense.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I'd be curious to hear how this turns out for you! I'm using the GI bill now for undergrad, and after the ordeal of transferring, it's been a breeze, I just fill out an "Activity Sheet" every semester letting them know which courses I am taking, and they send the tuition in for me. I don't really know if it would work without being enrolled, but it's definitely worth pursuing, there are all kinds of special exceptions for unique scenarios.
  6. Senior Member
    Our kids are using it now and the VA requires the schools to certified that they full time enrolled students, at the beginning of each semester.
  7. Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure you have to be a matriculated student or you can't be certified.