Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GI Bill Question

1. Senior Member

GI Bill Question

Advertisements
    Maybe one of you can point me in the right direction. I am trying to see if DH could use his GI Bill to go to some dog training certification programs or if you can only use it for college. Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    You can use it for non degree programs and certifications, but I'd call the VA and ask. Here is what I found

Non-College Degree Programs - Education and Training
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara87 View Post
    You can use it for non degree programs and certifications, but I'd call the VA and ask. Here is what I found

your DH will need to find out if the training school is VA approved.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara87 View Post

Thanks! I swear I looked all over that site but must have passed this tab over

Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    your DH will need to find out if the training school is VA approved.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

`
    Last edited by Volare.; 05-19-2014 at 04:54 AM.
  6. Senior Member
    Is TA not something he can use for it? Or is it that expensive? Because once you start using your GI Bill, you only have a few years to use it all I thought.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    members actually have 10 or 15 years after separation to use their GI BILL .
  8. Regular Member
    I have a GI Bill question as well. DB is considering retiring from the NG and he wants to go back to school. From what I've read, he needs to have completed 90 days of active duty to qualify for the GI Bill. He's been in for just under 10 years in the NG but was never deployed or anything. I guess my question is what is considered 'active duty' and where can we find out his exact number of days? Does his time in BCT or OCS count? Do his drill weekends or other trainings count towards this time? If he doesn't qualify, does anyone know of any other resources for getting funding for school? He's only looking to get an undergrad degree so the most federal financial aid available per year is $12,500 which will barely cover the tuition, let alone living expenses. Any advice would be so welcomed!
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauren313 View Post
    I have a GI Bill question as well. DB is considering retiring from the NG and he wants to go back to school. From what I've read, he needs to have completed 90 days of active duty to qualify for the GI Bill. He's been in for just under 10 years in the NG but was never deployed or anything. I guess my question is what is considered 'active duty' and where can we find out his exact number of days? Does his time in BCT or OCS count? Do his drill weekends or other trainings count towards this time? If he doesn't qualify, does anyone know of any other resources for getting funding for school? He's only looking to get an undergrad degree so the most federal financial aid available per year is $12,500 which will barely cover the tuition, let alone living expenses. Any advice would be so welcomed!
    BCT and OCS does not count towards the GI BILL. because he was never activated on title 10 orders they will count the total number of drill days -
    but for the best information he can call the VA directly or speak to a VA rep at the college.
    also he will not retire from the NG with 10 years in, he will just separate - if he does that he will not get any retirement later - he will not have enough points to retire.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Is TA not something he can use for it? Or is it that expensive? Because once you start using your GI Bill, you only have a few years to use it all I thought.
    Dh is getting out, potentially in September if he does voluntary early separation. So, TA isn't an option.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast