Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Tricare near end of pregnancy

1. Regular Member

Getting Tricare near end of pregnancy

Advertisements
    My husband will be going to OTS, and getting Tricare for our family when I am about 6 weeks away from my due date (7.5 months pregnant). I have been seeing a civilian OBGYN throughout my pregnancy so far. Does anybody know if I will be able to stay with my current doctor since I will be so close to delivery, or will I have to go to a new OBGYN on the base nearby? Has anybody had experience with a situation like this? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Senior Member
    I think it depends on where you are, whether your current OB accepts Tricare, etc. Although I loath talking on the phone with Tricare, you might just give them a call to ask this question. Sorry, I can't be of more help than that.
  3. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

I would call your OB and see if they accept Tricare.

When you sign up for Tricare, you will have 2 options: Prime or Standard. Prime is free, but you have to go wherever they tell you. Standard has a $150 deductible and a co-pay, but great maternity coverage. Like civilian insurance, you can go to any doctor that accepts it. It ends up costing hardly anything. It's much, much cheaper than most insurance plans, and you treat it like other plans. It's not 100% free, like Prime, but it's very good and affordable.

So if your current doctor takes Tricare, and you signed up for Tricare STANDARD you should be fine.

First step is to call your doctor. If they accept it, great. If not, I would call Tricare to see what their maternity coverage is like for out-of-network, or if there is some exception given your current phase of pregnancy.
  4. Regular Member
    Thank you for your advice! I called my OB office and they said that they accept both Tricare Standard and Prime. They said that I would need a referal from a PCP with Prime. By the time I get Tricare, I will probably be going in for a weekly check up with my OB. Do you think I would be able to get a referal quick enough or might Standard be a better option?
  5. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

That's awesome news! I've only had standard, so I honestly don't know. When I signed up for tricare, I did it on base in the tricare office. It wouldn't hurt to ask them when you sign up.
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by .pistachio. View Post
    That's awesome news! I've only had standard, so I honestly don't know. When I signed up for tricare, I did it on base in the tricare office. It wouldn't hurt to ask them when you sign up.
    Thank you, I will have to meet with them. I thought that my husband would have to sign us up without much knowledge. It's good to know that there is an office that we can contact!
  7. Senior Member
    When my husband enrolled me when he went to basic I was automatically enrolled in standard. I'm not sure if it still works that way, though.
  8. Senior Member
    Also, if you want to stay with your current OB I would probably go with standard. Here it's pretty hard to get referred off post for pregnancy and I wouldn't want to take any chances that close to delivery.
  9. Senior Member
    Since your are due so soon I would just stick with Standard. Standard is the default Tricare so as soon as you are in DEERS you will have standard. Plus maternity coverage is the exact same (free) and you will only have to pay the hospital stay co-pay (it's $17.50 a day I think, you can look it up, not much though). Prime has an enrollment period so wouldn't even be effective right away, let alone getting a referral. After you have the baby you can switch to Prime if you want.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I would stick with Standard. You'll have to get an appt., and then wait for the referral before seeing your OB if you go with Prime. I've delivered on Standard and paid about $50 from the hospital stay.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast