Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tricare and PAP exams

1. Junior Member

Tricare and PAP exams

Advertisements
    I made an appointment for my yearly PAP for next week. I received a call today saying I couldn't get one until 2016 because I had my last one a year ago. 2 years ago I had pre-cancerous cells followed by 2 LEEPS. I am not comfortable with waiting 3 years in between exams. It took less than 2 years for my cervix to go from normal to stage 3. I fought and they will still see me next week, but said that they will need to discuss the fact that I should only get it every 3 years. I thought Tricare covered yearly PAPS? Especially with history of abnormal cells and LEEPS?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I would contact your PCM and ask for a referral.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    looks like Tricare has changed it from every year to every three years for them but is up to you and the doctor to determine if you need more than regular exams

Pelvic Exams and Pap Smears

TRICARE covers pelvic examinations in conjunction with Pap smear testing for women 18 years of age or older. The frequency of Pap smear testing may be at the discretion of the patient and clinician but not less frequently than every three years
  4. Senior Member
    My PCM just does mine now because I'm not comfortable with every 3 years with my history either.
  5. Senior Member
    I wouldn't be comfortable either if I had a history like yours. I do know the guidelines have changed though but I thought it was 2 years, not 3.
  6. Senior Member
    I think it is 3 now, I just had one done and I thought I was way overdue but was told I wasn't because the guidelines had changed . I had an abnormal pap about 7 years ago and needed to have paps done every 6 months for a few years. I ended up having to go to planned parenthood for my second one both years because my insurance wouldn't cover them. It cost me about $80 each time but it was worth it for my peace of mind.
  7. Senior Member
    It's every 3 years now. I had to get one last month and that's what my midwife said.
  8. Senior Member
    That's crazy. I get one every six months (followed by a biopsy) because of my history. I'd be damned if any insurance company would tell me to wait three years.
  9. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86

I can't believe it's three years now. Sometimes I feel insurance companies do it just to save money. How can it go from getting one every year to every 3 years. It just seems odd to me.

I definitely wouldn't want to wait due to your history.

10. Junior Member
    Thanks for the info/advice I'm going to talk to my PCM on Tuesday (she's the actual one who is doing it this time) and hopefully she will understand and advise me what to do I'm an advocate for yearly PAPS due to what happened to me.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast