Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAH while deployed if we end our housing lease...

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

BAH while deployed if we end our housing lease...

Advertisements
    I can only assume this has been asked/ happened before, but I have tried every key word I can think of on this site for 3 days and cannot find it.

What happens to BAH if DH is deployed and we break our lease/ I move back home?

Situation: Currently stationed in San Diego, living in military housing through Lincoln.

In 2016 hubby will have his 2nd, and last, deployment. (So they estimate...) 6 months into this 8 month deployment will be his final day with the Navy.

We're trying to get a mental grip on various situations ("What happens if...") so we can financially and mentally prepare for a variety of things, though we realize you can never fully prepare.

One of the situations we're playing out: He gets deployed in January 2016. Just after he leaves, I move back home & take all our stuff with us. It can stay in storage while I live with parents/ friends for a few months. I look for employment and- eventually- find a place for us. This way we're ahead of the game in the sense of having a place to return to once he's out, that I can start on job hunting, and I have the support of my friends and family (which really, really sucked not having last deployment).

This plan is dependent on him still receiving BAH even though everything's packed up & back in his home state (IL). Crunching the numbers reflects if we don't get BAH, it would be financially smarter to stay in CA with steady income and continue to work.

DH feels 100% confident he will Not get it. He told me he was instructed that moving out of Lincoln housing means he's living on the ship, and thus doesn't need housing and isn't eligible for BAH.

I have spoken to 2 retired military co-workers of mine, and I called San Diego BAH and received the opposite answer: Yes, BAH would continue based upon San Diego as his home port. I told the person I spoke to at housing "Look, my husband won't believe me. May I have your name, so I can tell him 'Dale at housing says Yes, BAH will continue?'. Housing person replied 'You don't need my name.'... Sure enough, my husband asked me 'Who did you speak to?' and when I said he wouldn't give me a name, he said he didn't believe them. Cant say I blame my husband- that sounded odd to me, too!

What would be great is someone who has done this and can say for 100% certainly yes/no, so we can stop debating this fact (haha). What would be even better (If Yes, BAH continues) is if you have a website I can also show my husband for further proof beyond someone's word. I only continue to pursue this because I am getting conflicting information. If DH is right, he can do his victory dance and we'll continue the 'What if...' game with other options.

Thank you!!
  2. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

As long as you don't live on base, you get BAH.
  3. Senior Member
    You will continue getting BAH for where he is stationed (San Diego). 100% without a doubt. I've moved twice from San Diego while DH was deployed.
  4. Senior Member
    He wouldn't be considered to be living on the ship because he has a spouse.

So he will keep BAH.

I don't know what policy to quote (GG might), but if you think about it, it makes sense. Unless you (and any kids you have) would also be living on the ship (and you can't for various reasons, of course), then they still need to provide a house. It doesn't matter to them whether that house is in San Diego or Ill, or even whether you are paying rent or living for free with family.

If he lives on the ship after deployment, then there could be some complications. But while he's deployed? Easy Peasy. Yes on the BAH.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Banned
    Banned
    BAH will continue uninterrupted while he is on deployment/underway and it will be the duty station location- I can get the regs for you -
    it does not matter where you live in most cases as BAH is almost always paid for duty station location.

However- understand that if you move to IL before he has orders to PCS/ETS you cannot get reimbursed for the move after he gets orders.
    and you will lose out on all the PCS allowances.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    this is from the JFTR- the official source BAH regs:
    20. Why do you base BAH on my duty location? Why not use my residence location?

The policy decision to use duty location as a basis for BAH is based on the desire to compensate members for the typical housing cost near the member's duty location. Once the duty station is known, the BAH compensation is fixed, regardless of where the member lives. Were the member's residence location to be used as a basis for the allowance, there is the concern that this would cause a member to choose the residence location based on BAH. In some cases, this may lead to a member choosing to live further from the duty station, simply to receive higher BAH. In other cases, when a member commutes from/to a lower cost area, the members would find the BAH to be lower, even though the commuting expenses are higher. The Services decided to base the allowance on the duty location with the full knowledge that members would still be free to live where they choose, but that this decision would not affect the BAH amount.

Geographically separated families (geographic bachelors) are normally eligible for BAH based on the member's duty station. Each Service budgets for support of a certain number of members and families at each location. If a growing number of people decide to leave their families in Washington, or Tampa while the member PCSs to Mt Home or Ft. Hood that could skew the budget and service support planning for these locations. Also, a fundamental philosophy of military service is that members, with their families, create a better work environment and esprit de corps when they can be active participants in the local base and community. In certain circumstances, with specific approval of the Secretary of the Service concerned, a member may be granted an exception to receive BAH based on the dependent's location. For example if a member has a sick child that requires medical attention only available in a certain location (say Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC), and the member receives a PCS order, the member might leave the family in Washington and request BAH eligibility for that location. Such exceptions do not ordinarily apply to spousal employment or other personal choices
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank you all for the confirmations!!

Gunsgirl, that IS interesting about moving. A co-worker (former military) told me that the military doesn't care when you move, they will simply pay for 2 moves; to get you to a base, and to bring you back home (unless your base station changes). I wasn't taking her as an official word, but let it slip my mind to research it further. In regard to what you posted, I saw that too but because it doesn't relate to DH living on the ship (which he thinks is housing *sigh*) I decided it's not specific enough.

He is very, very convinced he is right. But I LOVE all the "yes" responses! Maybe if I get enough opinion proving him wrong he'll believe me... I feel my own victory dance coming on.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by musicmeg83 View Post
    Thank you all for the confirmations!!

Gunsgirl, that IS interesting about moving. A co-worker (former military) told me that the military doesn't care when you move, they will simply pay for 2 moves; to get you to a base, and to bring you back home (unless your base station changes). I wasn't taking her as an official word, but let it slip my mind to research it further. In regard to what you posted, I saw that too but because it doesn't relate to DH living on the ship (which he thinks is housing *sigh*) I decided it's not specific enough.

He is very, very convinced he is right. But I LOVE all the "yes" responses! Maybe if I get enough opinion proving him wrong he'll believe me... I feel my own victory dance coming on.

you cannot get a paid move "when ever you want" you can only get a paid move after orders are issued- they will pay for the member to return to the home of record--- but only after ETS orders are issued.
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    That makes sense, and now I don't have to research it. What do you think are the odds of him getting his ETS orders before he's deployed? I would think they would be pretty good, so he could wrap up everything before deployment.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musicmeg83 View Post
    That makes sense, and now I don't have to research it. What do you think are the odds of him getting his ETS orders before he's deployed? I would think they would be pretty good, so he could wrap up everything before deployment.
    That would be about 6 months out? Not at all impossible, but I wouldn't count on it. But even if they come after he leaves, you'd still be able to move. The timing of his orders will have almost nothing to do with giving him time before deployment. In essence, those are very different "departments" and the place that issues orders isn't really going to be affected by his deployment.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast