Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricare Ineligible?

1. Senior Member

Confused Tricare Ineligible?

Advertisements
    So DH is in the national guard, and is not activated. He has been, in the past, but isn't at the moment (even though he wants to, they just don't have the space for him right now). Anyways... he doesn't have/has never had Tricare but has been able to go to West Point for medical care a few times because of his previous activations. I don't have health insurance, and haven't since August when my school insurance ran out. I haven't found a full time job yet... the job market for teachers in my area of NY is terrible.

Every time I have gone on the Tricare site to try to find out if he's eligible, it says he isn't because he's not active. Am I doing this wrong? Or is he just simply ineligible because he's only a guardsman? It's as if he doesn't count at all. If that's the case, I don't even know how to go about getting another form of health insurance because I've just always had my parents/school up until recently. Any tips/advice/knowledge to be shared? I feel clueless.

"I know I'm young but if I had to choose him or the sun,
    I'd be one nocturnal son of a gun."
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I'm not sure if it's the same for Guard as Reserve, but when DH was reserve he could have opted to pay (I think it was about $400 a month, basically the amount he made during his "one weekend a month") to get Tricare, but otherwise would only have Tricare during deployments (/any active time).
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the same for Guard as Reserve, but when DH was reserve he could have opted to pay (I think it was about $400 a month, basically the amount he made during his "one weekend a month") to get Tricare, but otherwise would only have Tricare during deployments (/any active time).
    Yeah I read that they do have a plan for reserve if they aren't on active orders... but DH is Guard and it seems that they have NO options for a guardsman who is not activated...

4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Amy! View Post
    Yeah I read that they do have a plan for reserve if they aren't on active orders... but DH is Guard and it seems that they have NO options for a guardsman who is not activated...
    Hmmm, I'm not sure. I hope someone else who knows more can let you know the options or if there aren't any, why not.
  5. Senior Member
    While DH was in the guard, we were able to pay for Tricare and I don't think it was too expensive. He was never activated while in the guard.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    here is a link from Tricare- it says National guard can use Tricare reserve select. ( reserve select is the column on the right)

go to the bottom of the page for a link for more info on Tricare reserve select.

Compare Plans
  7. Banned
    Banned
    the reservist must be Active reserves, ( drills 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year), IRR cannot use TRS.
  8. Senior Member
    If you don't have insurance, you are going to want to jump on this right away so you don't face ACA penalties. Just something else to think about. That would apply to both of you.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    If you don't have insurance, you are going to want to jump on this right away so you don't face ACA penalties. Just something else to think about. That would apply to both of you.
    That's why I'm trying to figure this out, we literally just got married so I'm trying to figure this out now.

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    the reservist must be Active reserves, ( drills 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year), IRR cannot use TRS.
    What is IRR?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast