Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Chapter 35 Benefits/Stipend

1. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!

Chapter 35 Benefits/Stipend

Advertisements
    I am receiving a monthly stipend through the VA Chapter 35 (survivors'/dependents benefits.) I'm fulltime. The certifying official at the university has advised me that if all my classes are via distance technology, the stipend is cut in half.

I have never seen this anywhere. Before I ask him, could anyone find anything that says that? I've looked and looked. The whole reason I went back to school is I thought I could do most of my classes via distance technology - otherwise my geographic location is going to be a huge handicap.

Help?
  2. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    I'm not familiar with Chapter 35 but, as what the official told you is true for the Post 9/11 GI Bill's MHA, it could be true for the Chapter 35. But, he could also be totally confused and not realize that there's a difference between the two benefits.

If you're not familiar with the Post 9/11, the MHA is equivalent to that of an E5 with dependents at the area code at which the school is in IF you're attending full-time and taking one class on-campus/face-to-face. The MHA is reduced to half the national average if you're attending full-time but not taking at least one class on-campus/face-to-face.

I'd definitely double check with somebody from the VA or a nearby post's education center to see if this regulation applies to Chapter 35 benefits too.

I hope it works out!!

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

3. Banned
    Banned
    from what I can find the payment for distance learning is cut to 55% for DEA for tuition and costs, dependents do not get MHA on this program.

I found the info here: Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs
  4. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    from what I can find the payment for distance learning is cut to 55% for DEA for tuition and costs, dependents do not get MHA on this program.

I found the info here: Welcome to the GI Bill Web Site | The Home for All Educational Benefits Provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs
    Are you considering distance learning = correspondence courses?

That's the only thing I see, and the problem with that is they really aren't.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    you may want to call the VA directly- the DEA is very different from the Montgomery GI bill and the post 9/11 bill. I have a friend who is a certifying official at a major university. I can shoot him an email and ask if you want.
  6. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    I did call the VA - the customer service guy I spoke to said it shouldn't make any difference. Then I went back to the certifying official and he's quoting the MHA rate (the one that's sorta a national average.)

I THINK it's confusion about what's covered under which, but if you don't mind asking, I'd really appreciate it. I can still change one class if I have to - I'd rather not get pinched.

Thanks for the feedback.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    the chapter 35 does not get MHA. it is a flat rate I think 1035 a month for full time.

the only GI bill that gets the MHA is the Post 9/11.

and I sent him an email, will let you know what I find out.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    ok, so I heard back from my friend.

your certifying official ( LOL and my self) are wrong.

only the Post 9/11 has the reduced rate for MHA - but there is never a reduced rate for tuition....

since the Chapter 35 is a "stipend" it is paid at the full rate regardless if it is brick and mortar or all online.
  9. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    THANK you so much for checking on this and getting back to me. I was really upset thinking this might change everything, and I know it's because so many chapters are offered and can be easily confused.

I am very grateful - please tell your friend thank you as well.