Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes to Army TA

1. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.

Changes to Army TA

Advertisements
    This is the message being distributed by GoArmyEd, it explains the changes well.

"On 1 January 2014, the Army’s FY14 Tuition Assistance (TA) program will change. These changes are supportive of the intent of the TA program – to provide financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education in support of Soldiers’ professional and personal self-development goals within a constrained budget environment.

The new policy will allow Soldiers to use TA after successful completion of their first year of service after graduating from either AIT, OCS or BOLC. Soldiers are eligible for up to 16 semester hours per year and they can use TA for a second, higher-level post-bachelor’s degree after completion of 10 years of service. The second degree time in service requirement applies to movement from a bachelor’s to a master’s degree and not from an associate’s to a bachelor’s degree. Also, the 10-year requirement only applies if Army TA was used to pay for any portion of the undergraduate coursework.

Soldiers will continue to receive up to $250 per semester hour and the current policy limits of 130 semester hours for completion of a bachelor’s degree and up to 39 semester hours for a master's degree remain in effect. Soldiers cannot use TA for a second equivalent degree, i.e., no second bachelor’s or master's degree. All courses must be part of an approved degree plan. TA cannot be used for first- professional degrees, e.g., PhD, MD or JD. In addition to DA adverse action flags, we will continue our policy to not allow TA for Soldiers who are flagged for APFT/AWCP.

The Army will honor TA requests for payment for Soldiers with approved TA requests by 31 December 2013 whose eligibility for TA will be affected by these policy changes. However, no further TA-funded enrollments will be authorized until they meet the new eligibility requirements."

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. Senior Member
    Thank you so much for the information!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    the CG went to something similar that went into effect OCT 1.
  4. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    the CG went to something similar that went into effect OCT 1.
    I think I saw that the AF did too.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

5. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Interesting, but good to know. I like the 10 year requirement for secondary education. I knew quite a few guard members who had 6 year contracts and missed every deployment because they were in school, by the time they were done with school, they were out.

Is the no first professional degree rule a cost saving measure?
  6. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    Interesting, but good to know. I like the 10 year requirement for secondary education. I knew quite a few guard members who had 6 year contracts and missed every deployment because they were in school, by the time they were done with school, they were out.

Is the no first professional degree rule a cost saving measure?
    I'm not sure, though probably. At this point I'm assuming that most things are cost saving measures It's a part of the current TA guidelines too.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

7. Senior Member
    Hm... I didn't see anything similar for AF. They have already started paying for my husbands masters degree and they already paid his bachelors.
  8. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

The only thing I am confused about is the 16 semester hours per fiscal year. So that means they will only cover a total of 16 credits for an entire year?

12 a semester and 6 in the summer is considered full time which you have to be to receive your GI benefits. (Which they stated can be used to cover the cost of remaining classes) That's 30 credits on a fiscal year. So basically one term would be not covered is that what I am understanding?
  9. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    Hm... I didn't see anything similar for AF. They have already started paying for my husbands masters degree and they already paid his bachelors.
    I never saw anything official, just random articles when I was trying to look up more info about the Army's changes.

Quote Originally Posted by just, Chaleigh View Post
    The only thing I am confused about is the 16 semester hours per fiscal year. So that means they will only cover a total of 16 credits for an entire year?

12 a semester and 6 in the summer is considered full time which you have to be to receive your GI benefits. (Which they stated can be used to cover the cost of remaining classes) That's 30 credits on a fiscal year. So basically one term would be not covered is that what I am understanding?
    Yes, 16 credits, semester hours or clock hours for the entire year. And that includes credits that have already been taken in FY14 before 01 January 2014. So if a soldier took 6 credits in Fall 2013, then as of 01 January 2014 he/she will only have 10 credits remaining that will be covered by TA. All in all, the changes to TA reflect that a soldier using the full $250/sh will have a new yearly cap of $4000 (16sh x $250) instead of the current $4500 yearly cap.

Pretty much, yes. At that rate, only one semester + 1 3 credit class will be covered by TA.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

10. Banned
    Banned
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast