Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Active Duty & private health insurance/dental

1. Senior Member

Active Duty & private health insurance/dental

Advertisements
    Anyone know if there are any rules concerning active duty personnel using private health insurance instead of Tricare?

Backstory: DH needs some dental work (he prob needs his wisdom teeth out) and he hates the military dental facility. I love my dentist and so we are looking at possibly getting him on my private health insurance and getting the surgery and his cleanings done that way. Anyone know if this is allowed?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Its not forbidden but you need to check with your insurance company, they may only cover him as secondary insurance.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Its not forbidden but you need to check with your insurance company, they may only cover him as secondary insurance.
    Good point. I didn't think about that.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    the only way delta dental ( the AD insurance) would pay is if he got referred out.

if he wanted to buy additional private insurance he could do that but delta dental would not pay for anything without a referral.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    the only way delta dental ( the AD insurance) would pay is if he got referred out.

if he wanted to buy additional private insurance he could do that but delta dental would not pay for anything without a referral.
    Yeah that is why we are looking at private insurance. The dental facilities here are not great and DH would prefer to see my family's dentist and have a private dentist do his surgery. We have just heard so many horror stories about the military dentists pulling wisdom teeth and DH had a horrible experience when he went to get a cleaning.

I guess the question we will have to ask our insurance is if they will be primary for DH even though he has Tricare. I know that they have remained primary for me even though I have Tricare but I don't know if it will be different since DH is AD.
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    When I had 2 insurances at one point, tricare would only act as a secondary to any other insurance. I know tricare and dental are different, but check with whoever does our dental AND the insurance you want if they will even be allowed to be primary if another insurance is present.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    I apologize the member dental is United Concordia.

but they cannot use UC unless the MDF refers the member out. Any care that is performed without a referral will not be paid by UC, so the private insurance would be the ONLY insurance that would cover the member.