Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking pay back?

1. Regular Member

Taking pay back?

Advertisements
    So long story short... my husband was deployed, he has returned, earlier than his orders list... but he has gotten paid as if he was deployed until the end of his orders, even though he wasn't away. He thinks that the AF will take the pay back. He has asked his unit and no one has any answers. Has anyone else had this experience? Do they post a negative LES in myPay? How long do we hold on to it before we can be comfortable in spending it?
    Any info would be useful.

THANK YOU!
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Don't spend it. Not until he gets actual confirmation of what he needs to pay back if anything.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member

Yes. They (most likely) will take it back. Unfortunately, they will take it whenever they notice/realize the error.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Short answer is, yes, if they discover an overpayment they will/do recover the overpayment. Hold onto ANY pay he was not actually entitled to.
  5. Senior Member
    They will figure it out. If he has been overpaid, there will be a 100% recoupment of the overpayment.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    He needs to go to finance.

Since he knows this has happened, it would be best for him to deal with it head on. By going to finance, he can put himself of a pay back schedule, to pay it back in X amount over X time. If he doesn't go to finance, they will take it ALL at once.

His shirt, orderly room, etc will not have a clue about it, only finance does. Finance will be able to know if they overpaid, and by how much. He can then get it in writing FROM finance the agreed upon time frame to pay it back.

I cannot stress enough the importance of him going to finance first. It not only helps you financially, but it looks good on him for the future. He is taking a problem head on and dealing with it instead of brushing it under the rug and waiting.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  7. Senior Member
    You should never feel comfortable spending it. It isn't yours. In theory, they could still take that money back in 20 years, after he's out of the military.

In fact, he should be proactive about making them take the money back. Have him to go finance and not take no for an answer. Unless they can explain to him, in a way that makes perfect sense, that the money is in fact he, he needs to push to make sure they take the money back.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    You should never feel comfortable spending it. It isn't yours. In theory, they could still take that money back in 20 years, after he's out of the military.

In fact, he should be proactive about making them take the money back. Have him to go finance and not take no for an answer. Unless they can explain to him, in a way that makes perfect sense, that the money is in fact he, he needs to push to make sure they take the money back.

I would have him try to have them take it back asap. It'd be better that way than having it disappear when you're not expecting it.
    Last edited by Rissa*Rawr; 11-14-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: holy spelling errors, phone

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  9. Senior Member
    Yes. If he was paid special duty pay (ie haz duty, family sep etc) for being deployed but was not, the AF will take it back. What they do is send an email offering to set up a payment schedule. But give little time to get back with them to set it up so he needs to pay attention to his work emails. If it is not set up for payments they will take it all back at one time.

BTDT many a time due to military finance eff up.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I agree, he needs to go to finance and get this fixed - be proactive! Also, make sure they fix his tax withholdings - if they still have him being paid as tax free, that can come back and bite you in the ass at tax time!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast