Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meal deduction and other deployment pay questions

1. Senior Member

Meal deduction and other deployment pay questions

Advertisements
    When a sailor gets deployed on a ship, does their meal deduction stop?

Right now we get BAS but then it pretty much is negated with the monthly meal deduction.

Aside from that I know he will get Family Separation Allowance but not sure about anything beyond that.

I doubt he will be eligible for tax free & I don't think he is going to an imminent danger zone. Also not sure about hardship duty pay if he'd be eligible or not just for being deployed.
  2. Senior Member

Why would their meal deduction stop on deployment? They would be eating every meal on the ship.
    The deduction stops when you go to shore duty.
    BAS is for the sailor's food not the family's food.

You will get family sep, but it won't kick in until he has been gone for 30 days (though he will get back pay)

Usually, they'll get has duty/tax free for part of the time as they travel through different regions of the world.

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    Why would their meal deduction stop on deployment? They would be eating every meal on the ship.
    The deduction stops when you go to shore duty.
    BAS is for the sailor's food not the family's food.

You will get family sep, but it won't kick in until he has been gone for 30 days (though he will get back pay)

Usually, they'll get has duty/tax free for part of the time as they travel through different regions of the world.
    I was reading something on DFAS about their meal deduction ceasing on deployment so I figured I would ask the question in case I was missing something

He has had a meal deduction taken out of his pay ever since getting to the ship regardless if he uses the galley or not and even when they haven't gone out to sea in that month
  4. Senior Member

Nope they gotta pay for their food.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CPANavyWife View Post
    I was reading something on DFAS about their meal deduction ceasing on deployment so I figured I would ask the question in case I was missing something

He has had a meal deduction taken out of his pay ever since getting to the ship regardless if he uses the galley or not and even when they haven't gone out to sea in that month
    The military has decided it is their obligation to provide for the sailor's food. They can do that by giving money or meals, but they are never going to provide both as that's not fair or reasonable. So if he has meals available to him, he doesn't get the pay. Whether he chooses to eat those meals or not doesn't matter.

So if he has meals available to him, there is no BAS, whether they are home or at sea.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

DH is deployed and his BAS gets taken. The only time his BAS was in his paychecks was when he was in school and living off base(therefore was not eating at the galley)
  7. Banned
    Banned
    for enlisted the BAS will stop when the ship gets underway because they are provided all their meals
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    for enlisted the BAS will stop when the ship gets underway because they are provided all their meals
    It doesn't stop, it just has a larger (than when not deployed) deduction taken out of it. We always still had partial BAS.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    It doesn't stop, it just has a larger (than when not deployed) deduction taken out of it. We always still had partial BAS.
    when ex was on the boat and underway they took it all.

DH is CG and follows the same rules as the navy and he too lost all the BAS when underway.

maybe they changed something in the last few years.

it did change-- back in 2002-

http://cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrh/in...bsistence.html
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Yes, he will not get BAS since he'll be on the ship. Even when DH was on a squadron on sea and we got BAS he lost it while deployed.

Family separation will begin 30 days after he has been gone. I wouldn't expect it to hit the pay til 1 or 2 checks after that.

Pays other than that could be hazard duty, flight deck, not really extra pay but tax free, etc. Just depends on his job and where the ship goes.

Last time DH deployed in May and we didn't get caught up with his deployment t pay til August.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast