Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New Wife Education Benefits Question!!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Smile New Wife Education Benefits Question!!

Advertisements
    Hi everyone,

Next year I will be going into my third year of college working towards my bachelor's degree in Chemistry. My husband is in the Army reserves (currently activated) and I am trying to find some tuition assistance. I have done a lot of research and can only find programs that help towards an associates degree. I would love to hear from everyone and know if anyone knows of any programs I should check out.

Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    Someone here can probably provide better info, but check to see if activated reserves get the Post 9/11 GI Bill. If he does, he can transfer benefits to family. You can google to see if he qualifies for the transfer (has to have a specific amount served and an specific amount left on his commitment.)

You can also look into MyCAA, which, depending on his rank and the program you are in, may be able to help. (Again, not sure if this applies to reserves.)

There are also lots of small organizations that offer scholarships to military family members. I don't know of any comprehensive lists, but some hours spent googling might have some results. You can check your husband's base and command and see if they offer anything. While often these are small--$200-$1000--they do add up and can make a difference. Also check out local veterans groups to see if they do scholarships.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Like Villanelle said, your husband might be able to give you some of the benefits of his GI Bill. It'll have to be the Post 9/11 and not the Mongomery. There are stipulations for this too, but I'm only familiar with those for AD.

MyCAA is only applicable towards certificate, certification and specific associate degree programs. Though I do have a friend that's used it for a certificate that satisfied some of her bachelors degree's requirements.

Check if your school offers scholarships, lowered tuition or other resources for military dependants.

In Spring there should be a lot more scholarships like the AER spouse scholarship. If your DH is stationed somewhere, check his base's organizations and call the Ed Center.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Someone here can probably provide better info, but check to see if activated reserves get the Post 9/11 GI Bill. If he does, he can transfer benefits to family. You can google to see if he qualifies for the transfer (has to have a specific amount served and an specific amount left on his commitment.)

You can also look into MyCAA, which, depending on his rank and the program you are in, may be able to help. (Again, not sure if this applies to reserves.)

There are also lots of small organizations that offer scholarships to military family members. I don't know of any comprehensive lists, but some hours spent googling might have some results. You can check your husband's base and command and see if they offer anything. While often these are small--$200-$1000--they do add up and can make a difference. Also check out local veterans groups to see if they do scholarships.
    My dad transferred me his GI Bill benefits and he was activated reserves.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Active reserves can transfer benefits. the rules for transfer are a little different. and the amount earned is based on the points they have received for drills or AD time.

the member can talk to their education office on base for more info.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Also check out the Army Relief Society or what every the official name is. They should have some loans or even grants to help you out a bit.
  7. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisheswife View Post
    Also check out the Army Relief Society or what every the official name is. They should have some loans or even grants to help you out a bit.
    Army Emergency Relief, or AER. They offer an annual scholarship.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Penni View Post
    Army Emergency Relief, or AER. They offer an annual scholarship.
    Thank You. I volunteer for the NMCRS so I was not sure. I just know the history between the Army and navy and how the two societies came about.