Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: DEERS Question

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

DEERS Question

Advertisements
    I read the sticky for the New Spouses and Fiancés, and the question I have is there, but no one ever answered the girl....

My father was in the military, and I have been receiving education benefits through him, but as of May, I turned 26, so i don't qualify anymore. I am getting married in December and my fiancé wants to make sure that i get into DEERS. So my question has two parts:

A) Does my dad have to do paperwork to get me removed from his sponsorship?

B) How long does it take to get into the DEERS system once we do all the paperwork?

And a follow up question:
    Is it easier because i was born on Military Base and I am already in the system?
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mellbell View Post
    I read the sticky for the New Spouses and Fiancés, and the question I have is there, but no one ever answered the girl....

My father was in the military, and I have been receiving education benefits through him, but as of May, I turned 26, so i don't qualify anymore. I am getting married in December and my fiancé wants to make sure that i get into DEERS. So my question has two parts:

A) Does my dad have to do paperwork to get me removed from his sponsorship?

B) How long does it take to get into the DEERS system once we do all the paperwork?

And a follow up question:
    Is it easier because i was born on Military Base and I am already in the system?
    You should have been removed as of May but some people are still in the system because it doesn't get caught. Your father can go in and make sure you are not still listed for anything. You can go in after you get married and as long as they don't mix it up, you can also make sure that you are not listed on your father's record and be put in for your new dh's (dear husband) record.

Once you get an ID card and go to medical to make sure your correctly listed you are in the system as everything is linked to your ID car and your sponsord.

It doesn't make it any easier because you were born on a military base. It can cause issues if you are in the system when you should have been removed and you try to register with your new dh. It is best to make sure everything is cleared....medical is where the biggest problem seems to be even though they send a letter stating you are no longer eligible, the record is not always changed.

Hope that helps.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  3. Banned
    Banned
    just to clarify: Kaaau is correct, however I want to add, they you will not be removed from DEERS, you will always be listed on your dads DEERS, how ever you will be made ineligible under his SSN.

I found this out when DH and I got Married, I went to Medical for the first time and they mistakenly called me Debbie, that was his first wives name. I asked about it and he said she was listed as dependent number 1, I was listed as dep number 2 and my DD was listed as dep number three. and at the time their system did not list dependent type, ( I am not sure if it does now or not)
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    just to clarify: Kaaau is correct, however I want to add, they you will not be removed from DEERS, you will always be listed on your dads DEERS, how ever you will be made ineligible under his SSN.

I found this out when DH and I got Married, I went to Medical for the first time and they mistakenly called me Debbie, that was his first wives name. I asked about it and he said she was listed as dependent number 1, I was listed as dep number 2 and my DD was listed as dep number three. and at the time their system did not list dependent type, ( I am not sure if it does now or not)
    Kaaau and gunsgirl are correct. DEERS doesn't list dependent type(as far as I know-I could be wrong), just the dependent number. DH's ex is always listed before me and there's no way to change that. I'm also listed under my exH so a lot of times if I'm not on top of it, they'll code the treatment or Rx under my ex. However, I don't have that issue with my daughter who is biologically my ex's and was listed on his DEERS and is now under DH's.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you for all your answers...

I am still wondering.... How long will it take for me to be enrolled under him? If we go to the Personnel office and do it in person, is it immediate? Or does it take a while?
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I will warn you that it is a huge pain in the butt if you accidentally overlap. I was in the system as a reservist when DH and I got married and to this day (2 1/2 years later), I STILL get asked, "Were you active duty at one point?" whenever they look me up in the system at doctor's appointments and stuff. And I still even pop up under my maiden name! It's kind of a headache. I've gone into Tricare offices multiples times and they "tab" it for editing and stuff, but nothing is ever done lol. It's whatever, they'll still treat you and everything, you just might get a few questions in the process.

ETA: DEERS enrollment is immediate, from my understanding. If you want to apply for Tricare Prime, that takes a little while, though.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mellbell View Post
    Thank you for all your answers...

I am still wondering.... How long will it take for me to be enrolled under him? If we go to the Personnel office and do it in person, is it immediate? Or does it take a while?
    If you have all the paperwork you need and you are no longer listed under your dad, it should be immediate.
  8. Senior Member
    You're enrolled in Tricare Standard that is backdated to the date of the wedding as soon as you're entered in DEERS. If you're wanting Prime, you'll need to complete the paperwork before the 20th of the month for it to be effective the first of the month following otherwise it's the first of the month of the month after the following month(ex: enroll by 20 December, effective date 01 January. Enroll 21 December to 20 January, effective date is 01 February).