Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help with something. BAH related

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Sad need help with something. BAH related

Advertisements
    OK. sorry if this is confusing. It is confusing for everyone else that I have told it to..so here goes:

We got an offer for a house on base in late August, August 26th to be exact. The base was privatizing to Corvias on the 1st, so we filled out the offer form and the allotment form in the housing office, then went over to to the Corvias office to sign our lease. Due to privatization, we couldn't move in until September 4.

On September 4, we went to the Corvias office to get our keys and do the initial inspection. The Corvias lady said we needed to pay pro rated rent for the rest of September. We told her we already did the allotment forms, and she said that they wouldn't start deducting BAH until November 1 for October rent. She said we would see it gone on October 15th and we would still get our BAH for September 15 and October 1. She said we pay a month behind.

So we cut her a check for 1200 and some change.

Well, on the small little LES for the 15th, the check is over 600 short. We figure, that we filled out the allotment forms early enough for them to be able to get BAH for September rent. If we are right, our big LES to on October 1 will show this.
    However, no one is talking to us and won't until the big LES posts!!
    My question is:
    if we paid for the remainder of September up front, and they took BAH for September rent. *if what she says about paying a month behind is true*, then aren't we entitled to our money back?

this sucks and will bug me until I see that big LES.
    thanks,
    Cathy.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianaevanmom View Post
    OK. sorry if this is confusing. It is confusing for everyone else that I have told it to..so here goes:

We got an offer for a house on base in late August, August 26th to be exact. The base was privatizing to Corvias on the 1st, so we filled out the offer form and the allotment form in the housing office, then went over to to the Corvias office to sign our lease. Due to privatization, we couldn't move in until September 4.

On September 4, we went to the Corvias office to get our keys and do the initial inspection. The Corvias lady said we needed to pay pro rated rent for the rest of September. We told her we already did the allotment forms, and she said that they wouldn't start deducting BAH until November 1 for October rent. She said we would see it gone on October 15th and we would still get our BAH for September 15 and October 1. She said we pay a month behind.

So we cut her a check for 1200 and some change.

Well, on the small little LES for the 15th, the check is over 600 short. We figure, that we filled out the allotment forms early enough for them to be able to get BAH for September rent. If we are right, our big LES to on October 1 will show this.
    However, no one is talking to us and won't until the big LES posts!!
    My question is:
    if we paid for the remainder of September up front, and they took BAH for September rent. *if what she says about paying a month behind is true*, then aren't we entitled to our money back?

this sucks and will bug me until I see that big LES.
    thanks,
    Cathy.
    What happened is correct. BAH is paid (to housing) on the first. So they take half out on the 15th and the other half on the first for the first. Like Sept 15 and Oct 1st for Oct's rent.

If your husband needs it explained better than that he needs to head into the finance office. They can probably do a better job if my simple answer doesn't make sense. Even if you were living off base and were getting the actual BAH money, it would work the same. You get half each pay.

Editing to add something for you. Also, the pay on the LES is for the month ahead of when you get the pay. Lets use Sept still. So the pay and LES on the 1st of Oct will be from the 15th to the end of the month of Sept. The 15th pay (in Oct) will be for 1-14 of Oct.
  3. Senior Member
    And I hope my post doesn't make it sound like I don't think you know any of this, just not sure what you do know so just explaining what I know.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    As I stated on the other forum, the woman who told you the month made a mistake. She should have said OCT not NOV.
    Corvais requires the rent in advance, not in arrears, that is why they had you pay for sept in advance.

BAH like pay is paid in arrears, so for Sept. BAH is paid 1/2 on the 15th and the balance on Oct 1st.

so housing is correct to take the 15th BAH and then the 1st BAH to pay for OCT 1st rent. other wise you would be paying rent late every month.
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Agree with southern and gunsgirl..

Oct 1st rent will be taken 15 Sept and 1 Oct... and since you moved in 4 Sept, you would need to pay the remainder of sept out of pocket or up front.

You 'should' get something back when you check out of housing and PCS, but this isn't always the case.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Senior Member
    I wanted to address two things. 1. Privatized housing always pays one month in the rears for housing. You all are saying that the Sep 15 and Oct 1 BAH will pay for them to live in housing for the month of Oct, but that is not the way it works. However it would actually pay for the Month of September, and so on. Which is why it always take one month past move out to see a service members BAH returned to their check unless they pay their rent up front out of their own pocket prior to move out.

2,What the OP is asking is why their LES looks to be short yet they also paid prorated rent. To that I can't answer. OP you may need to have your Spouse speak with their Admin/PSD to find out what is happening or you can wait until the Full LES comes out later in the month. Everything that the Privatized housing employee told you was correct. The only strange thing is the short fall in the LES. I would really suggest to try to get your spouse to PSD to see what is happening.
    ~ Sara ~
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixi7272 View Post
    I wanted to address two things. 1. Privatized housing always pays one month in the rears for housing. You all are saying that the Sep 15 and Oct 1 BAH will pay for them to live in housing for the month of Oct, but that is not the way it works. However it would actually pay for the Month of September, and so on. Which is why it always take one month past move out to see a service members BAH returned to their check unless they pay their rent up front out of their own pocket prior to move out.

2,What the OP is asking is why their LES looks to be short yet they also paid prorated rent. To that I can't answer. OP you may need to have your Spouse speak with their Admin/PSD to find out what is happening or you can wait until the Full LES comes out later in the month. Everything that the Privatized housing employee told you was correct. The only strange thing is the short fall in the LES. I would really suggest to try to get your spouse to PSD to see what is happening.

gunsgirl said this particular housing company does it in advance, not in arrears...
    so it would make sense that the 15 sept BAH would go towards 1 Oct rent...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. Banned
    Banned
    not all PPV allows BAH to be paid in arrears- hence why the member had to pay in advance for Sept.
    Sept's BAH will be Paid on sept 15 and the balance on OCT.
    but since PPV had the member pay for sept in advance the BAH paid on the 15th and the 1st will apply to OCT rent.

when you get the BAH in the check and pay rent on the economy you pay for rent on the first of the month in advance. If you have an allotment for rent they take 1/2 on the 15th and the balance on the first and "pay" it on the first for you.

when you pay in arrears you end up losing 1/2 of a months of BAH because your paying for the month behind.
    if you pay for Sept rent on OCT 1st and move out OCT 30, you will not get BAH on the first of NOV because that is being applied to the last months rent. Many people complain about that and most PPV's are going to the "advance payment" of rent.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixi7272 View Post

1: Well it actually depends on the base from my reading. Most bases are not doing rent in arrears but paying on the first for that month. This has been my experience as well for the past 12 years in both military housing (3 bases) and privatized housing (3 bases). For example, we got our keys for our house on the last day of the month. I had to pay the prorated amount for that month (one days worth of rent). But the next month/day BAH came out (we were offered our house at the beginning so we were able to set up allotment) for that month. But the 15th paycheck of the month we got our house, we didn't get the other half of our BAH as it was for the next months rent.

2: The missing amount more than likely is the half of the BAH that is set aside for the Oct's rent.

But I agree and as I stated, if her husband has concerns he need to hit up the finance office and ask them what is what with his paycheck. And if she is concerned about the rent to go to housing and speak to someone.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    1: Well it actually depends on the base from my reading. Most bases are not doing rent in arrears but paying on the first for that month. This has been my experience as well for the past 12 years in both military housing (3 bases) and privatized housing (3 bases). For example, we got our keys for our house on the last day of the month. I had to pay the prorated amount for that month (one days worth of rent). But the next month/day BAH came out (we were offered our house at the beginning so we were able to set up allotment) for that month. But the 15th paycheck of the month we got our house, we didn't get the other half of our BAH as it was for the next months rent.

2: The missing amount more than likely is the half of the BAH that is set aside for the Oct's rent.

But I agree and as I stated, if her husband has concerns he need to hit up the finance office and ask them what is what with his paycheck. And if she is concerned about the rent to go to housing and speak to someone.

The easiest thing to do is going to be for the OP's husband to go in and get an answer directly from finance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast