Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Co-Parenting Classes

1. Regular Member

Co-Parenting Classes

Advertisements
    Hey,
    So I am having a little problem finding information. My soon-to-be husband has a son from a previous marriage. Lately, we have been in court a lot. Does anyone know where I can find information about Co-parenting classes for all four of us (me, her, her husband, and mine) ? I think they would be more helpful cause most of the problems are over things like the child going to my dentist or I found the preschool so she hated it.

Thanks everyone
  2. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Talk to the courthouse in your area. The mediators can point you in the right direction.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  3. Senior Member
    Check with your family support office. If there is such a thing on base they would know about it. Or the hospital but even the family support office should know if the hospital does it.

Best best chance is to look off base. Might need to call some counselors or what not to see what they suggest.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanGirl View Post
    Hey,
    So I am having a little problem finding information. My soon-to-be husband has a son from a previous marriage. Lately, we have been in court a lot. Does anyone know where I can find information about Co-parenting classes for all four of us (me, her, her husband, and mine) ? I think they would be more helpful cause most of the problems are over things like the child going to my dentist or I found the preschool so she hated it.

Thanks everyone
    How would a co-parenting class help with the bolded?

Is it a family dentist, a dentist that your husband goes to as well? Is it a preschool that your husband chose? or are both places that you have chosen without the aide of him (the boys' father)?

I only ask because it is his and her son. If she doesn't like or agree with the choices then she has the right to deny them. Where the child goes should be decision between him and her, not the 4 of you, or even the 3 of you.

Don't co-parenting classes just simply teach parents how to be on the same page in regards to discipline and rules, not about which parent should be right or wrong, or which parent can and can't choose?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    How would a co-parenting class help with the bolded?

Is it a family dentist, a dentist that your husband goes to as well? Is it a preschool that your husband chose? or are both places that you have chosen without the aide of him (the boys' father)?

I only ask because it is his and her son. If she doesn't like or agree with the choices then she has the right to deny them. Where the child goes should be decision between him and her, not the 4 of you, or even the 3 of you.

Don't co-parenting classes just simply teach parents how to be on the same page in regards to discipline and rules, not about which parent should be right or wrong, or which parent can and can't choose?

You say he is your "soon to be" husband, frankly, as someone who is not even the step parent yet I think you are way out of bounds in trying to have any sort of "parental" say in the situation
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    You say he is your "soon to be" husband, frankly, as someone who is not even the step parent yet I think you are way out of bounds in trying to have any sort of "parental" say in the situation
    Why not let the child's parents handle the situations that arise? I can see supporting your future husband, but making decisions is going too far. And why do it if you know it is just going to upset the mother?
  7. Senior Member
    A lot of places will encourage all 4 parents to attend mediation or co-parenting classes/workshops, because the fact is, step-parents are just as involved in the decisions. I think what the OP is trying to say is that she is the one who researched the pre-schools and found one that she and her husband/boyfriend/whatever liked, but felt that because she was involved in the process, the mother took a dislike to it.

OP, the local courthouse should have information on mediation services. Typically the first session or two is just between the parents; after that they can request that stepparents be included in the sessions to help resolve issues.

Going forward, it might help if you have your DH present information to his ex in a manner that won't make her defensive. If you found a school/dentist/etc for the child, and it is something you and your DH wanted but you just did the legwork, have him bring it up to her as a "I think this pre-school has a great [insert whatever here]" without bringing up who found it.

8. Regular Member
    So the problems happen because anytime S (the kids dad) suggest anything she acts like its me bringing things up. It isn't I just show S options on things like preschools then he decided. I guess our biggest problem is that she thinks I am the one doing everything and I am not. I show S things then let him decide. SHe is constantly bashing me in front of her son. On his first day of preschool he was crying cause he I told him mom was meeting me and dad there. When I asked why that made him sad he said it was because he didn't want mom to be mean to me.
  9. Regular Member
    See we already do that. The problem is he will write "I really like this preschool" and she will write back things like "I am glad L(me) likes it" She acts like he doesn't have an opinion. And if you knew him that would make you laugh he is so opinionated about everything. The only thing I do is sometimes read his messages to her and help him make them nicer when things are tough.
  10. Regular Member
    Sorry I wasn't very clear. I have been living with him for a year and we have shared a bank account I am just planning our dream wedding. So it's a little more complicated. I guess the big issue is that she acts like everything my man brings up is me when it isn't. Like anything happens its my fault half the time I try to get my man to reason with her but he does ask my opinion a lot and I am not going to be like well your on your own. Plus, I am the one home with the child all day and have been.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast