Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got Tricare Prime back, Gastric Bypass question

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Question Just got Tricare Prime back, Gastric Bypass question

Advertisements
    I will be 22 in October, I have been without insurance from 18 til this week, I have young adult prime, through my dad hes retired Army. I am covered until I am 26. When I have my first appointment with my doctor I want to ask if I am a good candidate for gastric bypass, I am 5'4 370lbs, and believe it or not I don't have any major health issue except irregular periods and headaches every day. I don't eat very much, I don't really get hungry until my blood sugar drops and I start to feel weak which I need to stop I know. I am trying to avoid getting type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure which my mom, some of her siblings have and my grandmother had it, I weight much more than my mom and I'm surprised I haven't gotten it yet.
    Would Tricare cover me for gastric bypass?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Have you tried diet and exercise?

ETA: that is not meant to be a bitchy question either. I know how hard it is to lose weight, and I have actually thrown around wls as an option myself.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Welcome to MSOS. Please head over to the Newbie forum here: http://www.militarysos.com/forum/newbies/ and introduce yourself.

Tricare's fact sheet on bariatric surgeries is located here: See What's Covered - Bariatric Surgery.

It will be a process with a lot of steps to be documented.

I hope that answers some of your questions.
  4. Senior Member
    See What's Covered - Bariatric Surgery

eta: lynn beat me to it.
    if i never see you again i will always carry you
    inside outside

on my fingertips and at brain edges

and in centers
    centers of what i am of what remains
    --- charles bukowski.

time to eas, baby!
  5. Banned
    Banned
    yes they cover it, but it is a long process and you may weigh too much and will be required to lose a % of body mass, go to therapy and get nutritional counseling, the entire process can take 12-18 months even before you get on the table.

also take a serious look at the after effects of doing the surgery, no alcohol for the rest of your life, not eating "meals" again, possibility of never eating solid food after the surgery.
    never eating more that 1000-12000 calories a day.

my sister got the surgery last year, tho she has lost over 180 lbs and is 25 lbs from her goal weight, she is sick all the time, she cannot eat anything fried- gives her diarrhea, she cannot eat bread, pasta or rice, gives her terrible stomach pains, she cannot drink sodas or anything carbonated.
    they told her all this and when she was in therapy after the surgery, told the therapist that she did not think it would apply to her, that she thought people were just trying to scare her out of the surgery.
    she is 42 and will never to eat "normally" again.
    At 22 I would suggest looking at all other options before making a decision that will effect your life for the next 50+ years.
  6. Senior Member
    I would try diet and exercise before getting gastric bypass surgery. I sometimes go to reddit for fitness motivation, I'm fit by most people's standards, but the amount of weight some of the people have lost that post on there is such an inspiration. It's worth at least looking at. I also highly recommend myfitnesspal app for tracking calories, and maybe start trying to walk every day? I just know that if I was in this situation, I would do EVERYTHING I could to avoid having the surgery. Good luck!

"May you never go to hell, but always be on your way."
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    Have you tried diet and exercise?

ETA: that is not meant to be a bitchy question either. I know how hard it is to lose weight, and I have actually thrown around wls as an option myself.
    I walk about a half a mile twice a day for about 6 years now, I exercise myself and my dogs, I am not on a diet, but I don't eat completely unhealthy.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I have tried dieting in addition to exercise before I would loose about 10 to 12lbs than for some reason while I'm still doing both I gain the weight back.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I would try cleaning up your diet a ton. Get rid of all added sugars, eat more veggies cut back on grains and see if you notice any change.
  10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by TR2009 View Post
    I walk about a half a mile twice a day for about 6 years now, I exercise myself and my dogs, I am not on a diet, but I don't eat completely unhealthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TR2009 View Post
    I have tried dieting in addition to exercise before I would loose about 10 to 12lbs than for some reason while I'm still doing both I gain the weight back.
    a mile per day may not be enough. If its just casual walking, then you will need to increase it. Try doing 1 mile twice a day or keep the 1/2 mile but at a faster pace and increase it. You want to have 30 mins of rigorous cardio 3-4 times a week.

It will be important to talk to your doctor to see what level of exercise you can/should do based on your condition.

I do want to say that these two statements somewhat contradict each other. You say you walk 1/2 mile twice a day but don't always eat healthy, then say you are dieting and exercising but lose only 10 lbs and gain it back.

The average loss is about 1lb per week. Do you give up after you've only lost 10 lbs, thinking its taking too long?

What kind of foods are you eating? are you keeping track of what you eat?

Perhaps you can try a program like Weight Watchers in lieu of bypass. It will teach you how to change your lifestyle to a healthier one.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast