Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Question about reenlistment bonus

1. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Question about reenlistment bonus

Advertisements
    DH reenlisted last year, adding three years to his contract (he had three years on the books). He got an initial bonus (50%) and then last week received the yearly remainder thing they do. Question is, we were expecting them to spread the remaining 50% over the five years he has left on his contract, but the amount he received looks like they are spreading it over three years instead. Does anyone know if that's common/the way it is supposed to be? It makes sense, that they're spreading it over the amount of time he reenlisted for, but we were just surprised.

He's going to go to finance before we do anything with it, just in case it was a mistake. Just wondering if any of you knowledgeable ladies know off the top of your head!
  2. Senior Member

When I reenlisted I had 1.5yrs left and I added 4 more. I got 50% for the 1st yr then the rest was spread over the next 3 yrs. So I still had the 1.5 left after the bonus was paid.

I thought the same as you but on my LES it said the bonus amount and it rounds out to the 4 I enlisted not the total amount I had left
  3. Pour a little salt, we were never here

Oh that makes me feel better! I'm always worried about over payment issues. But I can definitely see how this makes sense.
  4. Senior Member
    Yes it is just for the years he reenlisted for, not the total amount they have left in now due to the enlistment.

As an aside, I didn't know someone could reenlist 2 years before they were to separate. I thought it was less than a year? Or is it branch specific?
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Yes it is just for the years he reenlisted for, not the total amount they have left in now due to the enlistment.

As an aside, I didn't know someone could reenlist 2 years before they were to separate. I thought it was less than a year? Or is it branch specific?
    For AF is it is 36 months or less left, but you can only have six years at any given time. I think they usually only do reenlistments early like that for certain circumstances, but I'm not sure on that. DH did it because he had to add years in order to qualify for transferring the GI bill to me. Also if there is a bonus involved in the reenlistment, it's better to wait until the last minute so as to maximize the bonus amount (which we didn't do obviously!)
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post

I think it's branch specific... And I think it could also be dependent on if a person has already re-enlisted once before. For example, in the Marine Corps, if a person hasn't re-enlisted before, they have to sign paperwork with at least one full year left in order to be guaranteed the opportunity to re-enlist. But, once someone has already re-enlisted, they are considered "career" and can re-enlist within that one year time-frame. At least, this is my understanding of it.
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Hmmm... 19 years in the AF and DH has never been to enlist prior to one year out....

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. Senior Member

I reenlisted early because I had an assignement that I needed retainablily for to accept. They allowed me to reenlist instead of extend because I wouldnt be going past the 6yr cutoff.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    I reenlisted early because I had an assignement that I needed retainablily for to accept. They allowed me to reenlist instead of extend because I wouldnt be going past the 6yr cutoff.
    Yep, my husband has had to multiple times over a year out to get OCONUS orders. He re-enlisted again last year to transfer his GI bill.