Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAH and pay while in boot camp

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

BAH and pay while in boot camp

Advertisements
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. My husband and I just got married a few weeks ago, and he will be going to boot camp in about a month. We are concerned his recruiter is bending the truth a little in regards to his pay. I have heard from some that he will receive pay and BAH but won't be able to access it until he graduates? If so, is there a way I can access it? We just moved into a new apartment that we will not be able to afford without his portion... And does BAH go by where I live now or where he will be at boot camp? I won't be moving to join him until our lease in Louisiana is up in a year.

Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    His BAH will be based on your zip code as long as he is in school. Once he goes to his duty station it will change to that location. His pay will be direct deposited into an account of his choosing so as long as you have access to the account you're good.
  3. Senior Member
    It's not that he can't access it. They don't keep it from him. But it can take a while for BAH to get set up and started. He will get back pay once it is up and running so he won't lose any money due to the delay, but it isn't going to be in his bank account on his first day of boot camp. (Pay is retroactive for the previous half of the month.)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Banned
    Banned
    which branch? seems a silly question but different branches process things differently-
  5. Senior Member
    When my husband got to boot camp (Marines), he wasn't allowed to set up his direct deposit into our USBank account, so he had to set up a Navy Fed account and that's why he couldn't access it.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiebrim View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. My husband and I just got married a few weeks ago, and he will be going to boot camp in about a month. We are concerned his recruiter is bending the truth a little in regards to his pay. I have heard from some that he will receive pay and BAH but won't be able to access it until he graduates? If so, is there a way I can access it? We just moved into a new apartment that we will not be able to afford without his portion... And does BAH go by where I live now or where he will be at boot camp? I won't be moving to join him until our lease in Louisiana is up in a year.

Thanks!
    and welcome - you say you think the recruiter is bending the truth about pay and then reference hearing certain things "from some" - what, specifically, is it you are hearing from the recruiter that is in question?
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Sorry I didn't specify. He is a Marine.

@ZivaD, the recruiter assured us he would be paid while in boot camp and we would receive BAH. He neglected to tell us we wouldn't actually see that money until graduation. We went to talk to him today, and he said the money would go into a Navy Federal account, and we would not have access to it unless a special situation warranted it.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiebrim View Post
    Sorry I didn't specify. He is a Marine.

@ZivaD, the recruiter assured us he would be paid while in boot camp and we would receive BAH. He neglected to tell us we wouldn't actually see that money until graduation. We went to talk to him today, and he said the money would go into a Navy Federal account, and we would not have access to it unless a special situation warranted it.
    Yup, that is true. The good thing about that is, you'll have a good chuck of change in the Navy Fed account when he graduates!
  9. Banned
    Banned
    yes, for the marines it is true. unfortunately- now is the time to try to pay for things in advance and to notify your creditors that he is joining the military and ask for some lee way for paying .
  10. Senior Member
    That's so weird to me. Is that just marines?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast