Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: tricare prime

1. Regular Member

tricare prime

Advertisements
    I hope this question hasn't been asked before. Sorry if it has been!

I just enrolled in tricare prime this morning, and the man in the office told me that with prime you don't have to pay anything for prescriptions...I'm just wondering if this covers all prescriptions, like if I wanted to get birth control, would it be covered? And would I have to get a referral to a gyno to get that prescription in the first place, or can my PCM do that? (i'm technically not covered until September 1, so I have time to figure this out. Just wondering if I can hear answers from real people rather than google searches.)

Thanks in advance!
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

On base you don't pay anything, but if the base doesn't have the medicine or you want it mail order or from a pharmacy closer to you, then you have copays. For BC I always have an appointment at the Women's Clinic on base.
  3. Senior Member
    At our base you have to have a referral to women's health because they don't have enough doctors. PCM's usually do the pap's and prescribe BC. Prime and Standard both can fill prescriptions free on base.
  4. Regular Member
    Thanks again! That's what I thought basically, but I just wanted to double check Seems easy enough, too
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I've never needed a referral to my OB/GYN and I've been on prime, forever.

Scripts, if you go off base you its usually around $10 no matter where you go (CVS, local grocery store, walmart). Some places (like walmart I believe) are cheaper than $9.

Why aren't you covered until 1 Sept? You are usually covered the day you enroll.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post

Scripts, if you go off base you its usually around $10 no matter where you go (CVS, local grocery store, walmart). Some places (like walmart I believe) are cheaper than $9.

Why aren't you covered until 1 Sept? You are usually covered the day you enroll.
    Prime always depends on the day you enroll during the month. I had to wait the couple times I enrolled in it.
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post

I'm covered with standard until the first of September, then Prime will kick in. The way they explained it to me was that if you sign up between the 20th and the 1st of the month, you are covered that month, but if it is between the 1st and the 20th, you will be covered the following month. I signed up on the 1st, so I have to wait a whole month I guess. Or something like that. It was a little confusing