Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: help!?

  1. Regular Member
    missy918's Avatar
    missy918 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    He is currently stationed at fort hood but I am still home in Maryland
    Posts
    135
    Blog Entries
    2
    #1

    Confused help!?

    Advertisements
    So we just got married last Saturday and I will be 12 weeks pregnant on Friday. He's trying to get everything worked out before he has to leave for deployment which is really soon. I don't know anything about any of the benefits that we will be eligible for. Can anyone help? I have no idea what is going to happen, and being pregnant I have already been seeing my doctor since i was 5 weeks, will i have to switch doctors or will I be covered with my doctor i have now? What about pediatricians once the baby is born? And any other info about any other benefits will help. I have no idea what all is going to happen and i don't like not knowing. He's told me some about certain things but i don't think he explains it well.
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    TrishAFSpouse's Avatar
    TrishAFSpouse is offline
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    12,308
    #2
    I would check to see if your doctor takes Tricare Standard. If he doesn't then you will need to switch.
    Pediatricians... all depends if you want baby on Tricare Prime or Tricare Standard.
    Dental you have to sign up for and it costs roughly $30 per month for all dependents.
    Vision, you get one free exam per 365 days, but frames are out of pocket. Contacts are not covered.

    All he needs to do is put you into DEERS, once you are in DEERS you are automatically enrolled into Tricare.

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Ol' Grey Mare's Avatar
    Ol' Grey Mare is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    14,646
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by missy918 View Post
    So we just got married last Saturday and I will be 12 weeks pregnant on Friday. He's trying to get everything worked out before he has to leave for deployment which is really soon. I don't know anything about any of the benefits that we will be eligible for. Can anyone help? I have no idea what is going to happen, and being pregnant I have already been seeing my doctor since i was 5 weeks, will i have to switch doctors or will I be covered with my doctor i have now? What about pediatricians once the baby is born? And any other info about any other benefits will help. I have no idea what all is going to happen and i don't like not knowing. He's told me some about certain things but i don't think he explains it well.
    You really need to read up on the different Tricare programs ( TriCare Home ) you have to choose from and decide which is best for what you want. Standard is the program that offers the most choice in provider, but comes with co-pays. Prime is an HMO style program where you will pay nothing out of pocket, but you do not have as much choice in providers. It may come down to deciding whether it is more important to you to keep the provider you have now/choose the providers you want to use or to have no out-of-pocket expenses.

    "any other benefits" is pretty broad - are you wondering about strictly health coverages or are there other benefits you are also curious about? Knowing what you are asking will help in answering you as quickly and concisely as possible.
  4. Regular Member
    missy918's Avatar
    missy918 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    He is currently stationed at fort hood but I am still home in Maryland
    Posts
    135
    Blog Entries
    2
    #4
    I'm sorry, i know any other benefits is pretty broad but I don't really know much of anything and that was the best way i could think to ask. I was mostly worried about healthcare because of the pregnancy and everything
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Ol' Grey Mare's Avatar
    Ol' Grey Mare is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    14,646
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by missy918 View Post
    I'm sorry, i know any other benefits is pretty broad but I don't really know much of anything and that was the best way i could think to ask. I was mostly worried about healthcare because of the pregnancy and everything
    No need to apologize - it's just a lot of times when people ask about "benefits" they can mean anything from healthcare to pay to completely mythical things they have heard will come with being a military family (ie the elusive "per child" pay ).
  6. Regular Member
    missy918's Avatar
    missy918 is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    He is currently stationed at fort hood but I am still home in Maryland
    Posts
    135
    Blog Entries
    2
    #6
    oooooooh okay lol that makes sense, i just had no idea what was going to happen and hes leaving so soon so we have to get this done fast and its all so crazy right now
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Ol' Grey Mare's Avatar
    Ol' Grey Mare is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    14,646
    #7
    It'll work out - just take a deep breath and start a list (or two) -- write down the things you need to get figured out (ie health insurance), decide what order you want/need to do them in and take it one step at a time -- thinking about it all at once can get overwhelming fast. You will probably be surprised at how easy most of it is.
  8. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Phoenixx.'s Avatar
    Phoenixx. is offline
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,073

    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by missy918 View Post
    I'm sorry, i know any other benefits is pretty broad but I don't really know much of anything and that was the best way i could think to ask. I was mostly worried about healthcare because of the pregnancy and everything
    Don't worry, I stressed too! They are really helpful here.
    I went to the website that ZivaD put in her comment and I checked out my options. You take a little quiz and it tells you what you need to know.

    Quick breakdown:
    With Standard, you can choose your doctor (as long as they take tricare standard, which from what I know most do, but all you have to do is call and find out ) but some expenses you may have to pay a portion of. I didnt have to pay for my doctors visits, but I had to pay for my bloodwork, etc etc.

    With Prime, you will be set up at a hospital on post with a PCM (primary care manager I think). Its like your go-to doctor. So you go in, get an appointment with them, and tell them you are pregnant, and they will refer you to the doctor you need to see for that, who is more than likely in the same hospital. Prime functions on referrals, so if you need to see someone other than your PCM, they have to refer you. Any appointments you make on your own without Tricare approving first will be out of pocket.

    Thats the very small amount that I know, and I hope it helps. (I honestly would rather be on Prime, and I switched as soon as I got here)

    Good luck, and congrats on your pregnancy.



  9. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Phoenixx.'s Avatar
    Phoenixx. is offline
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,073

    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    No need to apologize - it's just a lot of times when people ask about "benefits" they can mean anything from healthcare to pay to completely mythical things they have heard will come with being a military family (ie the elusive "per child" pay ).
    let me tell you, when people first heard that DH was joining, we got a lot of "how many kids do they pay you for? And it was so confusing because COLA was thrown around a lot but that isnt always given and it was just.. craziness. Some of the things people told me we would "get" from the Army made me wide-eyed.



  10. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Phoenixx.'s Avatar
    Phoenixx. is offline
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    2,073

    #10
    I hate when I see things I want to reply to after Ive already written like two or three consecutive posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by missy918 View Post
    oooooooh okay lol that makes sense, i just had no idea what was going to happen and hes leaving so soon so we have to get this done fast and its all so crazy right now
    Breathe! Its usually easier than it seems.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    It'll work out - just take a deep breath and start a list (or two) -- write down the things you need to get figured out (ie health insurance), decide what order you want/need to do them in and take it one step at a time -- thinking about it all at once can get overwhelming fast. You will probably be surprised at how easy most of it is.
    Add to your list that you need to get a power of attorney. If he is leaving soon, you need to get one for general things, as well as one specifically for the finance office. Thatll probably save you a lot of headache down the road.



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •